No announcement yet.

leaving home

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • leaving home

    I’m 17 years old living in Illinois, I turn 18 in December and don’t graduate until May. Can I leave my parents house to live with my older boyfriend? Also, can my parents take any legal action

  • #2

    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. So long as you are a minor, your parents would have the right to file a runaway report with the police if you left without their permission. Usually, this allows the police to notify your guardian and return you home should they encounter you. Additionally, your parents would have the option to press charges against whoever’s house you were staying at for “Harboring a runaway”. This is usually considered a misdemeanor offense. However, once you turn 18, you will be considered an adult in the state of IL. You would be able to live where you please. If you would like any more information or if you have any other questions about what you can do, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at

    Take care,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove