No announcement yet.

Living situation

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Living situation

    I am 17 I live in Montana and I’m a junior now. I cannot stand my house anymore I don’t feel safe even in my own house because of my mothers boyfriend of 8 yeas she has continually chosen him over her own son. She refuses to trust me or give me much freedom the only reason I have any is because I go around her. I can’t live with my dad cause he’s a gambling alcoholic. And I can’t live with my grandma cause she’s half crazy and a alcoholic. So there’s nobody blood I could live with I’m trying to do what’s best for me and they aren’t allowing it. I would like to know what would happen if I just got up and left. Without saying anything. Me and my girlfriend’s plan is to go to North Carolina because I’ve got written confirmation for jobs @ $15 an hour and my girlfriend has a job if her own set up we both own our own vehicles both very reliable we both have money to be stable. But the issue is I don’t want her getting in trouble for harboring a runaway if possible because she’s 18. Answers?

  • #2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. Ideally home is where you feel safe, and it is unfortunate that you do not feel that way. If you ever feel like you are in danger you always have the right to call the police. You also mentioned that some of your family has a problem with alcohol. You could always call SAMHSA for additional resources. SAMHSA is the substance abuse and mental health administration and they can be reached at: 1877-726-4727.
    You also mentioned leaving your home without permission and leaving to NC. We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave without your parents’ permission because you are a minor they do have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home if they found it was safe. Also whoever you stay with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Usually for harboring a runaway it is either a fine or a misdemeanor.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove