No announcement yet.

Abused physically and emotionally

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Abused physically and emotionally

    I'm 15 years old living in California and want to runaway. I have money and a place already. I want to do it because my parents physically and emotionally abuse me. Today my step dad has threatened to kill me. I honestly don't know what to do because my boyfriend thinks I should stay but I don't because I may die.

  • #2
    Re: Abused physically and emotionally

    Hello There,

    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway . It is a great first step to finding the information and help that you may need. Taking this step often takes much courage, which shows how strong of a person you in doing so. You are so strong for having gone through so much already.

    It sounds like you are considering the option of leaving home because you feel unsafe. We are sorry to hear that. No one should be made to feel this way. Home should be a place of love, support, comfort, and safety. By all means, if you do fear for your safety do not hesitate to take the necessary steps to regain your safety. This may mean calling the police or possibly reporting the things you may be experiencing. Do you have friends, trusted adults, family members, or teachers that you can turn to for support? Sometimes having them on your side can help create a sense of comfort or support that will keep you safe.
    You are not alone. We can discuss your options with you if you’d like, as well as answer other questions you may have. We’re confidential and anonymous. We’re also here just to listen, if that’s what you need. If you want more information about cps reporting , what that means, or what that can look like for you, we are here to help guide you throughout that process and report with you you cal also call Child Help at 1800-422-4453 that would be able to connect you to your states reporting agency.

    Regarding the option of running away, Some things to think about for the future if you will continue your education at some point. How long do you anticipate on being gone or being able to stay where ever you may be? How will you support yourself or whom you will be staying with be willing to support you financially with food, clothing, other personal expenses/ allow you to stay rent free? What if things do not work out here in the future, what will be your back up plan? We could also help find some possible shelters in your area if you need another safe place to stay. However, sometimes this option may mean at some point ask for parental consent /check if a runaway report is filed and the time of stay is not typically long term. If you call us at 1800-RUNAWAY we could call out to these shelters for you or with you in advance to check on these aspects.
    We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home.

    If there is someway that could try to support you in anyway. Remember that we are here to listen and help as best as we can. You are not alone!

    Stay Strong,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove