No announcement yet.

16 with Abusive parents wants to runaway

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 with Abusive parents wants to runaway

    Hi, I'm 16 years old and a female. I've been physically, emotionally and mentally abused my entire life and wanted to know my rights. I originally lived in Seattle and had been working since I was 14 but mom got scared I would ask to get emancipated so she moved me somewhere I have no connections or options. I want to continue to go to school even if I run away- what are the laws for this in California?

  • #2
    Re: 16 with Abusive parents wants to runaway

    Thank you for reaching out to us. It takes thought and courage to realize the situation is too much to handle alone and that you need to ask for help. It is totally understandable that you need help to gather more information and get some direction in how to deal with this.

    No one deserves to be treated that way. Just know that you always have the right to report any abuse (physical, mental, sexual, or neglect) to your local police department, family member, or child protective service in your state. If that is something that you don’t really feel comfortable with doing, you can always give us a call to help answer any questions about the process or to walk you through what steps there are. If you are in immediate physical danger at any time, remember that you do have the right to call 911 or otherwise report this to authorities.They can come and check up on things for you. If you are in enrolled in school, you can also talk to any staff member you might feel comfortable with. They are legally obligated to report this to assist you in getting safe. You might also consider taking photos or keeping a record of any physical or psychologically abusive situations you experience at home.

    Looking at emancipation is a reasonable step. The laws regarding emancipation vary from state to state. We are not legal experts and not qualified to give you legal advice. However, we can talk with you generally about the process of emancipation. It does generally take some time (about 6 months to a year), some money, and the assistance of an attorney. There also needs to be proof that the youth is able to support him or herself on their own and in some cases they will need to have their parents’ permission to get emancipated. We can definitely try to find the name and number of an agency in your area that can give you more information.

    Again, thank you for reaching out to us; this is what we are here for and we want to help. Please call us anytime, 24/7, if you are able to and want to discuss this more.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp