Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in need of some help

I am 16 years old going to be 17 in 6 months. I am pregnant and my parents will kick me out once they find out. My boyfriend and I were going to move into together. He is in his early 20s . We don't think that I can move in with him without him going to jail. What can I do?

RE: in need of some help

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. It sounds like you are pregnant and you expect that your parents will kick you out. Just so you know, it is illegal for them to lock you out of the house with nowhere to go, and if this happens you can report them to the police. You are correct that your boyfriend could go to jail if you move in with him. We are not legal experts, but we can say that 16 is under the age of consent in many states. Since your boyfriend is older and has gotten you pregnant, he has already risked jail time for statutory rape. These laws are meant to keep young people from being coerced or manipulated into sex with older people. If you move in with him, he could get in trouble for harboring a runaway in addition to charges he could face for statutory rape or sex with a minor. It sounds like a very scary situation. We are here to help however we can, and we can help you come up with options and a plan to stay safe. A really great source of information about pregnancy and local laws is www.sexetc.org. They might be a good resource for information and help deciding how you want to deal with your pregnancy, and you can get info about how to access health care. You can call us if you need to talk or you need help coming up with a plan. We can help you find somewhere safe to go if you get kicked out. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X