Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone help me!!

I am currently 17 and living in Texas. My boyfriend who is 19 wants to move 3 hours away. I've been told a bunch of different things about me being able to move with him. In Texas a 17 year old is able to be trialed as an adult and 17 is also the age of consent. I was wondering if I could possible move with him. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Ty so much to the people that answer

Re: Someone help me!!

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you have been given different information about whether or not you can move with your boyfriend.

You are possibly correct in that the age of consent in Texas is 17. Because we are not a legal service, you could try to reach out to your local police department to verify that information. Being at the age of consent age means many things. You can find some additional information in this website: http://www.ageofconsent.us/state-law...-consent-laws/

Calling the local police would also allow you to get more information if you have any other concerns. Or if you call us at our 24-hour hotline, we would be happy to call the police with you.

Is there anything else besides your boyfriend wanting to move that would make you want to leave your home?

There are also other things to consider. If you move with him 3 hours away:
    1. Would you be able to provide for yourselves?
    2. Where would you live?
    3. Do you have transportation or a means to get around?
    4. Would you be able to discuss this with the people you are living with? Would they be accepting of your decision?

Even if you’re not at the age of consent, running away is not illegal. But people who you will be staying with might get in trouble for harboring a minor.

As an adult, you will not need parental permission to move out, like you would as a minor. And unless you do something illegal, there most likely won’t be any consequences.

We hope this has helped you in some way. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any other questions or concerns about this issue. We are always here to listen.

Best of luck to you,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X