18 years old and thinking about a dorm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 years old and thinking about a dorm

I'm eighteen years old and I just got into college. I live with my parents about 20 minutes away. My parents (mostly my father) don't let me do anything at all. They make me call every hour and quiz me on everything I've been doing, and if I'm even one toe out of line they slap or hit or scream at me. I'm also LGBTQ but my parents dont know. Im sure if they did theyd make my life even harder. I don't want to stay with them anymore, and I was thinking I could run away, and stay in the dorm at my college. I get all if my tuition from scholarships and loans, but I don't have any friends and my relatives all hate us. I don't know what to do...

Re: 18 years old and thinking about a dorm

Hey,
    Thanks for recently reaching out to NRS! It seems like things may be getting tuff for you but know you are making the rights steps towards progression. From what you’ve shared with us it seems like you’re struggling with control and some emotional abuse at home. We are sorry to hear that this has been making you feel down. We admire the ambitious you have to go to college, as well as the courage it takes to be open about your sexual orientation.
    We can’t exactly tell you what the “right” thing to do is, but we can help explore your options. For starters, depending on what state you live in, seeing as you are 18, leaving home without consent would technically be legal. Leaving home is only considered a status offense, in which parents can file a report for, if you are a minor. You mentioned that going away to college is a way for you to leave home. How do your parents feel about you going to college? Maybe discussing your future plans with them is something you want to do but don’t know how to go about it. If this is the case, conversations like this can be mediated through our conference call service. This involves us calling a parent, letting them know who we are and then proceed with a conversation where both sides of the call are heard and respected. Similar conversations can also be held in family counseling which you could also consider. I’m not sure if coming out to your parents was something you were looking to do, but this can also be talked about with us or a counselor in your area. If you should ever feel like you need someone to talk to specifically about LGBTQ topics, the GLBT National helpline number is always available at 1(88-843-4564. It’s pretty amazing that you are staying true to your identity.

I hope we have helped in some way. Please do not hesitate to give us if you were interested in the previously mentioned, wanted to talk about this is further details or had other questions. We are here to listen and help at 1800RUNAWAY. Stay strong!
    Best,
    NRS.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Well I guess I should have clarified that I am already going that twenty minute away college. That's why their **** is becoming intolerable-ever since I've been going to college their ******** has been making my grades drop horribly low-i can't think about anything when they scream at me...and of course my bad grades just amplify the problem.

Comment

Re: Reply

Hello again,

Thank you for responding. It sounds like you’re really frustrated with the way your parents have been treating the changes related to you attending the college. It sounds like given your age, you can leave home without any legal issues. There’s a lot to consider when leaving home in terms of supporting yourself financially. Just some things to think about are how you might pay for the cost of housing. Is that something that could be covered by financial aid? Perhaps talking to your college about financing that transition could be helpful in your situation. If you think we can be of further help, please feel free to contact us directly through phone or our online chat.

Best of luck,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X