No announcement yet.

I Want To Run Away

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Want To Run Away

    I'm 15 but I want to run away. My parents don't understand me and I need a new environment. What are the legal issues and who can I move in with legally? I need help and my parents cannot provide it. My depression is worse and I need new scenery.

  • #2
    Re: I Want To Run Away

    Hello there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry you are feeling misunderstood and not heard by your parents. It seems that you are looking for answers about moving out of your current home. We are not legal experts but can speak in general terms. Since you are under the age of 18 (in most states that is the age of majority) you are considered a minor which means your parent(s) are responsible for your care and decide where you live as they are your legal guardian until you reach the age of majority. If you were to stay with family or somewhere else, a runaway report could potentially be filed by your parents if you refused to go back home. Additionally, if a report was made, the individual(s) that you stay with could be charged with “harboring a runaway.” Each state varies in regards to laws, and it is often best to contact your local (non-emergency) police department to ask various questions regarding moving away from home where your legal guardian resides and living somewhere else. You can call anonymously (or we can try conference calling together) and ask various questions and concerns you may have. Sometimes it might be helpful to have documents with consent from your mother to stay temporarily with family, but this may also be something you can ask your local police department or legal aid services.

    For support with depression you may benefit from browsing this resource: Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance or National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255). We are also here as a support for you to talk more about what is going on. We can also explore other options and helpful resources with you to avoid encountering any legal problems for yourself or for your family. It sounds like you are looking for more support and encouragement especially when struggling with depression. We are here to listen and to help.
    We hope you reach out soon.

    Last edited by ccsmod6; 05-04-2016, 06:19 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp