No announcement yet.

Age 17 in california

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Age 17 in california

    Hi, my name is Kevin. I live in California and I'd like to know if it is legal to leave the household without parental consent. My mom verbally abuses me that I don't feel comfortable living where I'm at with her. It has affected my grades in high school and performance in sports. I turned 17 years old in January after new years. I've done some research and the court process of getting emancipated takes 4 to 6 months, so I cannot get emancipated before I turn 18. Sheven would not give me consent to live somewhere else. My mom threatened to call the police if I decide to leave or live with family friends. I don't want any trouble and I don't want to waste the authority's time. I'm not well informed on what I can do to leave my mom. Please help. Thank you.

  • #2
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a tight spot with wanting to leave your mom's home with half of a year to go before you turn 18. That must be really hard to live with that verbal abuse, and it sounds like it has really taken a large toll on you. You so deserve to be supported during this difficult time.

    You mentioned that you are not well informed, but it sounds like you have really done your homework. Yes, unfortunately, emancipation is a lengthy court process. Aside from emancipation, there are 2 legal ways you can leave home as a minor. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. It sounds like you have again been on top of things and already tried this; which must be frustrating. We understand that getting permission might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. With emotional abuse it can hard to prove that the home is unsafe, but you still have the right to report if you would like child protective services to try and intervene. To learn if reporting is right for you, you might reach out to the expert advocates at Child Help: 1-800-422-4453.

    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website if you are unable to call in at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Be safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove