Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a young adult and I want to have legal custody over my younger brother?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a young adult and I want to have legal custody over my younger brother?

My brother is 13, coming up on 14 and he lives with my mom and dad. I swear the second I turned 18, I was out the door, our family is so hard to deal with. First of all, I'm a 23 year old man, I have a wife and we've been married for a year. My brother ended up calling me around 2 days ago, explaining why our parents suck. Well, my parents. We have the same mom, but a different dad. My brother's dad, who lived with my mom and brother,packed his bag and left them 4 weeks ago for some chick in NC. It's awful, I feel awful for my mom and brother. So my dad, decided to move back in with my mom and brother. It's a complete mess, I know. My father, doesn't like my brother at all. I mean, he gets angry over the smallest things he does and he'll hit him in the face. My brother doesn't know what to do besides push him back, which I think is okay for self defense, I don't know though. I don't really want my brother to have to deal with getting beat up for getting a B- on his math test. I would like to get legal custody over my brother and have him live with me. My mom will do nothing about my brother getting hit, she just watches it play out and since my brothers dad left, she's been drinking away her problems. Drunk, skipping work, she's been a mess. I've started my own life, yet I feel like I should help my brother and get my mom some help. How could this work? How could I get my brother to move in with me and get legal custody over him?

Re: I'm a young adult and I want to have legal custody over my younger brother?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that your brother is having to deal with so much at home, it sounds like your mom is really struggling to provide a safe environment for your brother. We’re glad to hear that you’re looking out for him and wanting to provide him with more stability. We’re not legal experts, but we will try to share information that might help you decide how to approach your situation.

From your message, it sounds like your father’s been behaving in a way that has been physically unsafe for your brother. No one has the right to physically harm a minor. One option you have to address that situation might be to reach out your local child protective services. If you don’t know how to reach out to your local agency, an organization like Child Help USA can assist you in finding that information. They can be reached at 1.800.422.4453. You or your brother can also reach out to us and we can talk to you about what you’d like to do, and help you make a report if that’s something you’d like to do. Your brother can also reach out to a teacher or someone in school if he’d like someone to make an abuse report on his behalf. Whether or not you or your brother would like to report it, or if either of you feels you’d like to discuss other options, we’re here to support you. If you would like to petition for custody of your brother, you would need to speak with someone familiar with the laws in your state. If you’d like more information about legal resources in your area, feel free to reach out to us. We’re here to support you and your brother and we will do our best to explore options with both of you to help your brother stay safe.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

So I'm working with a lawyer to get custody over my brother and it was looking good. It was looking like I'd get him. My dad found out what was going on and drove to my house at 9:00 at night. He stood outside my house, screaming, saying he's gonna kill me or beat me up. My wife was getting freaked out so I went outside. I stood as he screamed at me and cussed me out. He ended up punching me, so I was forced to punch him back. I didn't know what else to do. I tried to calm him down but he kept saying he'd kill my brother and I. I called the cops, fearing for my brother and they're just gonna watch to make sure nothing happens. Can't they arrest him or something? This is insane.

Comment

Hello There!

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is a great first step to finding the information and support that you may need. It sound like you are going through a difficult and complicated time with your dad.
        We are not legal experts here, but it could be a possibility that you could possibly charge him for the incident that you experienced. It could look something like notifying police that you would like to press charges of assault or battery. if your brother's safety is a concern maybe taking to authorities or legal aid about a possible restraining order. Again, we are not legal experts so definitely talking to authorities and legal resources could better help in this situation.

If there is something else that we could do to better help or support you, we are her 24/7 and can be reached at 1800-RUNAWAY.

Best Wishes,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X