No announcement yet.

17 year old in NY locked out of the house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 year old in NY locked out of the house

    Lately my father and I have been having a lot of issues. I am a good student who goes to school regularly and does the right thing. I was out thursday night with friends and got food poisoning, and when i woke up friday morning my dad told me that I had to go to school. I know myself and my body, and if I went to school I would just be in the nurse throwing up and would eventually be sent home anyway. My dad told me that the next time I leave the house (because I refused to go to school today) when I came home the locks would be changed. Can he do that? I don't mind being kicked out, I don't like living here anyway, but I fear that if I stay at a friend's house he will be petty and get the police involved, getting my friends parents in trouble. My first question is since i'm a minor can he change the locks on me? If i were to notify the police myself would he be forced to let me come back? Second, if I do end up staying at a friend's house even though he locked me out can he press charges against my friend's parents.

  • #2
    RE: 17 year old in NY locked out of the house


    Thanks for reaching out to us for help. We are sorry to hear about the situation with you and your dad. Since you are 17, if your dad locks you out of the house without providing an alternative living arrangement that would be considered a crime. You have a right to call the police and report that you have been locked out of your home, and they would probably make your dad take you back home. It sounds like you are concerned that he may report you as a runaway even though he told you to leave. That is very unfair but we have heard about parents doing that. If your father reports you as a runaway the police might make you return home, especially if you have not made a report of being locked out and they only have a report with your dad’s side of the story. If your dad does report you as a runaway he could try to press charges against your friend’s family for harboring a runaway. You might consider seeing if your dad will give you permission to stay with your friend. This sounds like a very difficult situation and it is understandable that you do not want to stay at home. However, you may still be able to talk through the situation and come up with a solution with your dad if he is willing to let you live with your friend’s family. You may also want to check to make sure that your friend’s parents are ok with you staying with them. If you need to talk through more options, we are here to listen and support you however we can and help you make a plan to stay safe. We are looking forward to your call, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp