No announcement yet.

I need help im gonna be 18 this year and wanting to move out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need help im gonna be 18 this year and wanting to move out

    Im 17 gonna be 18 in november im under children protective services and i want to move out without parents permission how would i handle this

  • #2
    RE: I need help im gonna be 18 this year and wanting to move out

    Hello There!

    Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is a great first step to finding the information and help that you may need.
    Its sounds like leaving home is the option that you are currently considering as the best decision for you. Some things to think about for the future are deciding if you will continue your education. How long do you anticipate on being gone or being able to stay where ever you may be? How will you support yourself or whom you will be staying with be willing to support you financially with food, clothing, other personal expenses/ allow you to stay rent free? What if things do not work out here in the future, what will be your back up plan? What will your parents reaction be?

    We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home. However, being so close to/being 18 some districts handle these reports differently by possibly no actively searching for youth. You could find this out by calling your local police district’s non-emergency number. You would not have to give them specific information. If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we could call on your behalf.

    The other legal way of leaving home would require going to court and parent or guardian giving up legal rights of you or supporting this decision. This is called the emancipation process. typically takes a long period of time and money. This would mean that in court you would have to prove that you can be completely independent. Usually youth become of legal age prior to ever having an outcome from their emancipation case. If you are interested in this option, letting us know the city and state you are in would allow us to refer you to some legal aid resources that can help begin this process.

    You mentioned being involved with cps. We are unsure in what way you are involved, but maybe this is something that you could talk to a caseworker confidentially about.

    We hope that this information was helpful.
    Best Wishes,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp