No announcement yet.

17 running to safety at my dad's

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 running to safety at my dad's

    Okay so my parents got a divorce and my mom got custody of me and my siblings. My Dad lives in Texas and my mom moved us to Ohio. My mom emotionally and verbally abuses me and so does my step-dad and his kids. I can't stay in this house anymore I want to move to my dads where I know the environment will be better for me but my dad doesn't have money for a lawyer or to even open a case in court to get custody of me... I'll be 17 in September of 2016... If I run away to my dads could he or I get into trouble with the law and could I be forced to go back to my moms?

  • #2
    Re: 17 running to safety at my dad's

    Thank you for using our bulletin service.
    First off we want to say that abuse whether its physical, emotional or verbal, it is never okay and you do not deserve it.
    We are so sorry to hear that your mother and step-father have been abusing you. It sounds like a really negative environment and it is understandable why you would want to leave a place like that.
    Unfortunately we aren't legal experts here, but we are able to speak generally as to what might happen if a youth leaves home without a parents consent. For anyone under the age of 18 the parents have the right to make a runaway report. Since it’s only considered a status offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick up the youth and bring them back home. This is of course if they had any interaction with the police directly. If the youth is found to be living with anyone else the person that they are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor offense. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department.
    You mentioned that your dad can not afford a lawyer, you might consider giving us a call because we have a database of legal aids that work on a sliding scale. They might be able to at least give you some guidance as to what legal steps that you both can take.

    If you would like to use this service or explore other options please give us a call at 1-800- RUNAWAY
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp