Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 15 and want to move to another state to live with my boyfriend and his family

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 15 and want to move to another state to live with my boyfriend and his family

I am 15 years old and want to go live in my boyfriend and his family in another state. I live in Minnesota and he is from New Jersey.
    I currently live with my grandparents I have been for about 9 years. My mother lost me when I was 5 years old due to drug charges and
    Child endangerment. My grandparents have complete custody over me. It’s been so emotionally stressful on me having to be involved with my mother.
    She has been in and out of my life for 10 years and I don’t want her a part of it anymore and she will have to be a part of my life as long as I live here.
    Living where I am now puts stress, depression, anxiety, and I have no motivation to do anything because I am constantly reminded of my mother and everything
    That has happened before. I am close with my boyfriend’s family and they want me to come live with them and they will help support me and I will get a job
    And also help support myself while living with them. I honestly believe this is the best thing for me because emotionally I can’t stand living where I am now
    And need to get out. I have heard about emancipation and am willing to start the process but I would like to not have to go to court and have both my
    Grandparents and my boyfriend’s parents to come to an agreements. My grandparents think I only want to leave because I want to be with him, when I want the best
    Best for myself overall dating him or not I have wanted to leave when I was 13 and I didn’t have anywhere to go but now I have a family that would love to
    Help me and also wants the best for me. I recently visit him for a week I have never have been more happy and stress relieved than ever before I finally felt
    Completely safe and a part of a loving family. I felt completely happy for an entire week and I haven’t felt like that in over 10 years and I want to be able
    To have that every day. When I was with him and happy was the only time my mother messages me in over a month saying she misses me and can’t wait until I come back
    She only talks me if she wants me to baby sit for her I was finally happy and she messages me and reminded me of what I have to go back to but being
    With my boyfriend and his family made me happy no matter what she said. When I had to leave I couldn’t stop crying for 3 days straight because I didn’t want to
    Return to my family life and all the emotional stress that comes with where I live. The only time I ever feel completely happy and safe and without a worry
    In the world is when I am with him and his family.

Reply: I'm 15 and want to move to another state to live with my boyfriend and his fam

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you would prefer to live with your boyfriend and be away from the stress you feel living with your grandparents. It also sounds like your mother has caused you a lot of stress and worry.
    It must feel good to know that your boyfriend and his family emotionally are supportive of you.
    Coping with the stress you feel from being back home can’t be easy for you.
    Sometimes to cope with difficult situations talking with someone like a counselor might be helpful.

If you are interested in information and referral for counseling you are welcome to call our 24hr crisis line 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

We are here to listen and explore options that might fit around your needs.
    We hope writing and posting to NRS has helped you feel better tonight.

Take care and good luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: I'm 15 and want to move to another state to live with my boyfriend and his family

Thank for you replying but i could you some help to get pointed in the right direction i want to live with him but i dont know
      where to start or what i could do to make it possible

Comment

Re: I'm 15 and want to move to another state to live with my boyfriend and his family

Hello again,

Moving across to another state to be with your boyfriend and his family could be a very tricky process. There are a few ways to do this, but you’ll need to follow up with these options to see if they’ll work for you.

One way is to get your grandparent’s permission. From what you’ve said in your previous post, it doesn’t seem like that will be a way to make this happen. Another way is to look into emancipation, which can be very tricky but if you were interested, we could provide you with a legal resource to help with the process. In most states, however, you must be 16 or 17 to be emancipated.

If you want to explore some ways to talk with your grandparents or if you’d like us to try and gather more resources for you, we encourage you to call in here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’d love to help in any way we can.

Best of luck,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I want to live with my boyfriend because I may be pregnant ion know what to do my boyfriend lives in the same state as me so I think it could work buh I need help

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. It sounds like you want to live with your boyfriend. If you are under 18, the easiest way for you to move in with your boyfriend would be if you had your guardian's consent. You could try asking an adult that you trust to talk to your guardians for you. If you suspect that you may be pregnant or are currently unsure, confirming pregnancy is a good first step. This can look like purchasing a pregnancy test after you have missed a menstrual period or you can get this confirmation by possibly going to a local clinic for a blood test.

If you are pregnant, proper health care can be important in whatever you choose to do. One way to reach a doctor and find useful resources that specialize in women’s health/pregnancy is to contact Planned Parenthood at 1800-230-7526 or go to their website at https://www.plannedparenthood.org/.

If you’d like additional support or resources please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours, 7 days a week or chat with us online by going to www.1800RUNAWAY.org.
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X