•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like both you and your boyfriend have been in a really unsupportive environment. We're glad you are looking for answers.

We are by no means legal experts, but we do have some general knowledge. The easiest way for a minor to leave home is with the permission of their parents. It's hard for us to know what his parents could do, however the age of consent in Mississippi is 16, so they may not be able to do a lot. The best way to find out what legal action could be taken is by reaching out to your local police department or calling a legal aid resource in your state. If you gave us a call or chat we could possibly help connect you with a legal aid resource or your local police. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us through our website (1800runaway.org). We hope this helps!

Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 16 my boyfriend is 19. His parents are awful to him and to me. They kept him on a check his whole life and took all of his money and he finally graduated last year. Has a job now. I was already living with him and his family when I was 14. My parents were perfectly fine with it because they couldn’t keep me. But now his parents are mad because he has a job and not a check anymore. They told him he has to pay $450 a month for rent when their rent is only $350. When he refused, they got violent and aggressive and threatened the both of us so he decided to move out. We’re currently staying with his grandma but looking for a place of our own. Like I said my parents are perfectly fine with it and support both of us but his parents are threatening to get him arrested and me sent off if we move in together. Basically my question is, if my parents are okay with it and we move in together, can his parents do anything about it? By the way if it helps we live in Mississippi.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’ve already thought through how you could leave, which is excellent and very mature of you.

We’re not legal experts, but in general, most states consider people age 18 and up as adults. As an adult, you’re able to make your own decisions about where you live. Unfortunately, we can’t make the decision of whether or not you should leave. We would need to understand a little more about your situation to discuss considerations that could help you make a decision. A couple of considerations to think about are: what would happen if your relationship status with your girlfriend changes or her parents change their mind about the living situation. You’re the expert of your life and have a better sense of what would work best for you. We can provide support and help you explore various options so you can make the best decision for yourself.

We’re available 24/7 and can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or at 1800runaway.org via chat. We hope to hear from you soon, and best of luck!

Guest replied
    I am 18 male and I want to move to Idaho to start my life and be with my girlfriend who is 16. Her parents love me and offered to let me stay at their house for as long as I need. I have a job lined up there and enough money in my bank to support myself for a while. My parents are trying everything in their power to stop me from going. Even blackmailing but it’s only making me want to leave sooner. Can you please shine some light on what I should do? Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello,

Thanks ever so much for reaching out to us. We appreciate the courage that it takes for you to reach out and ask for help. It sounds like you have questions about your ability to live with your boyfriend if your county has legal custody of you as a minor. Although we are not legal experts, we can share general information that may help you figure out your next steps.

In most states, you are considered a minor until you are 18 years of age. If this is the case, you need the consent of your your legal guardian (in your case, HCJFS), to live outside of their care. If you do not have their consent, your legal guardian can file a runaway report with your local police department. From what we understand, the only way to be able to decide where you live without the consent of a parent or legal guardian is if a youth is emancipated, which means a court has decided that you are able to support yourself without a parent. It looks like there is no formal process in your state to petition for emancipation, but it may help to reach out with someone familiar with the laws in your state to confirm this. Organizations like the Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati, available by phone at (513) 241-9400, 1-800-582-2682, or by visiting their website at https://www.lascinti.org/, can help you figure out whether there are any legal avenues you can take to legally be able to decide where you live. If you would like more information on resources in your area, of if you just want someone to talk to, feel free to reach out to us.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. We cannot tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay as safe as possible as you figure out your next steps. We can best help by phone or chat, and can be reached 24/7 by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). We are here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

NRS

Guest replied
    I am 16 and about to have my son in August this year my boyfriend is about to get his own apartment and I wanted to kno if I can legally go live with him in the state of Ohio. If I am in hcjfs custody permanently??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,

You mentioned your boyfriend wanting to leave home before he’s 18. The easiest way to leave home is with parental permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to his parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone he trust as far as transferring custody. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. You mentioned his guardians not allowing him to work, if you would like a legal aid option to maybe see if there are other options, please call or chat with us so that we may find one for you.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, Me and my boyfriend are 16 and he’s debating running away due to mental abuse, but he doesn’t know if he can do that without dragging me and my family into trouble by harboring a runaway (he’s debated emancipation, but his gurdians won’t let him get a job)

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

The short answer to your question is no: a 16 year old, no matter their gender, cannot legally move *anywhere* without parental consent. Each state has what is called an Age of Majority, which is when you're legally considered an adult. Most states consider this at 18, though there are a couple of states where it's a little bit older. If you're not at the age of majority in your state, your parents are legally still responsible for you.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about what's going on, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Guest replied
    Can a female 16 of age move in with her boyfriend without parent consent

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.
    Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15 and want to move in with my boyfriend when he turns 16 in October, I turn 16 in February so the age gap is only 4 months, I live in Scotland and he lives in England and we've dated for nearly 3 years, is it possible for me to move in with him when I'm 15 and he's 16?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. We are sorry to hear that you do not like your living situation with your parents.

We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you home because you are a minor. You could consider asking your parents to visit your boyfriend. If something is going on at home that is making you want to leave you could consider speaking with a school counselor.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide you support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi! I don't really like living with my parents and I am 15 wanting to move in with my boyfriend who is 17 turning 18 in November. He lives in Florida and I live in Los Angeles. He is planning to move to Los Angeles in a couple of months with his grandma. Is it illegal if I live with his grandma and him in Los Angeles?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Good afternoon! First of all, thank you so much for reaching out to NRS today - it is very brave of you. It is understandable to feel conflicted in this situation.

One service that we offer here at NRS is something called a conference call. You reach out on our hotline, give us a little background of what is going on, and then ask to have a conference call allowing you to speak to your parents with the support of one of our liners. They will be able to mediate the conversation and possibly be able to discuss with your parents how you are feeling and what you want to do. It could be something constructive to figure out what the next step to take would be - but this option is obviously completely up to you if you choose to do it.

Although we are not legal experts here, in Massachusetts, once you turn 18 you are the age of majority and have full legal capacity meaning you can make all legal decisions for yourself. This means that legally, you would have the right to move wherever you choose. Before you turn 18, however, if your parents do call the police, they have the legal power to bring you home. Again, we are not legal experts here, but this is the information we have.

Lastly, you can use our chat service to have a more in depth conversation and explore a few more options for the situation. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and our website is https://www.1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7 and someone will be happy to talk through the situation. We are glad you contacted us and understand that it can sometimes be difficult to ask for help.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X