•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I’m wondering if I can move in with my boyfriend I’m 16 and he’s 16 he lives with his grandparents because his mom and dad gave him up they didn’t want him and he talks about it all the time to me and he cry’s and I feel bad Bc he tells me I’m the only person he has left and no one cares about him like I do he has abandonment issues and I’m here for him I have an absent father but anyway we have so much in common we feel like we don’t get to see each other enough that’s why he wants me to move in I would love to move in also and his grandparents would love to have me as well but I have a crazy mother she’s very controlling and rude has bad energy all the time is an alcoholic drinker and it’s very upsetting I hate living with her and my siblings are always rude to me and I’m pretty much a slave when I’m home I’m always cleaning my moms house and everyone’s mess or they will be mad at me I’m only happy when I’m hanging out with my boyfriend and his family it’s pretty sad to say but when I’m not with my boyfriend and I’m at work I love working Bc I’m away from home I hate being home.is there something or anything we can do bc I’m suffering here and I hate it here please I hope u read this and help me out

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello I am reaching out because I am living with both my parents but my mom is really toxic I am 15 but will be turning 16 in exactly a month from today my boyfriend is 17 and will be turning 18 on November 23rd and my parents do not support us being together at all they threatened to call the police on him because he is about to be 18 but there is nothing wrong about it because the legal age of concept is 16 which I will be very soon. But anyways what will happen if I move in with my boyfriend as soon as he turns 18? Will we get in trouble because we would be doing it without my parents permission. Will he get sent to jail? Will I be forced to go back home? I need answers I want to know??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are here for you through these tough times we are facing, and are happy to answer any questions you may have regarding runaway or homeless youth. You mentioned that you are 14 years old, and in most states the age of majority is 18 years old. This means that someone under 18 is the responsibility of their parent or guardian. If you were to move out of your grandma’s house without her permission they could possibly file a runaway report. This is a report filed with your local police office that would allow the police to return you to your grandma’s custody if you were to come in contact with them. We are not legal experts here at NRS but we would like to make you aware of possible outcomes. You may want to consider talking with your grandma to arrange an alternative housing agreement. This means that your grandma gives her permission for you to live with your boyfriend’s family. This is something your grandma would have to agree to considering you are 14. If your grandma is in agreement with your move, then there would be no legal issue with you staying with your boyfriend’s family.

If you would like more information regarding your situation we urge you to reach out to us on our 24/7 toll-free number at 1(800)-RUNAWAY. We can give you case specific information as well as resources to help you navigate this decision. Thank you again for reaching out and stay safe!

Good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 14 and my boyfriend is 16 if I got my grandma who is my legal guardian to agree with moving in with him and his parents would they be any legal issues

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi, Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation at home, and it is understandable to want to stay with another family to get a break from it.

If your parents give their permission for you to go, then there isn’t a problem, but they are the only ones who can give that permission. If you go on your own, they have the right to have you return home. But it is hard to be in an environment with a lot of fighting. We hope that you can reach out to us so that we can talk about it because that is the best way for us to help.

You can reach us by phone at 1800-786-2929 (1800-runaway) or via live chat at www.1800runaway.org We are here for you 24/7 and all of our services are confidential. We hope to hear from you soon.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m 14 and I’ll be 15 in just over a month. My boyfriend is 16. Would I be able to (legally) temporarily stay with him and his family as my parents are always fighting and I just need to get away from that for a little while. Would this be okay/possible?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, so im 15 and im heavily thinking about getting emancipated. I have some family and friends that are already 18 and have their own place. My dad is always telling me to "Get the ******** out" based off of this, can I just leave? Like get a job, and move in with those friends/family? Or do I still have to go thru the full emancipation process if they do not give me written consent to leave ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not legal experts so you might consider speaking with your mother about getting information from a legal aid source about transference of custody. We can assist you with locating resources in your area

If you would like to talk more in detail and locate legal referrals, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey I’m 15 I turn 16 in October 26 my boyfriend is 18 and we wanna live together my mom likes him well how he sounds but hasn’t met him she said it’s okay for me to live with him because her household isn’t very good but she is supporting and my dad don’t take care of me at all so I was wondering will she get in trouble if I move with my boyfriend without my boyfriend signing a legal guardian paper even if she is letting me move with him will we get in trouble like my mom or him because we plan on saving up and stuff and he really wants to help me. Do you think social workers or anything will find out I moved if I still go to school and stuff what do you think is best?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-25-2020, 07:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did.

It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation and that your family treats you really bad, which contributes to feeling emotionally unstable. We are glad that your boyfriend and his family are there for you and believe you. We do too.

We don’t have any authority to tell you whether it is OK for you to go or not, but what we can do is talk it over with you and to help you make a plan for yourself that you are comfortable with. You are right that each state has different laws, and while we are not legal experts, we can share general knowledge.

We can talk over all of this if you can also reach out to us at 1800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or through live chat via www.1800runaway.org to discuss this further. We are here for you 24/7 to listen and help.

We hope to hear from you soon.
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi Im 16 years old and i live in Washington state my boyfriend is 20 and he lives in Texas and he said i could move in with him and his parents, because i really cant stay here at my house my family treats me really bad i am emotionally unstable and i need to get out of here as soon as possible its so bad here, and i know my parents will never let me leave which is why we decided he was gonna come get me and move in with him and his family in texas, i know they have different laws there and i was wondering if i would be ok, i dont want to go through the whole legal action stuff and i dont have any money to get a lawyer to help m get emancipated i really need help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now.
    We are not legal experts but if you were to run away you’re legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you back home. Also whoever you were to stay with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Usually that would consist of a misdemeanor or a fine.
    We hope this information may help you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to help and to listen. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m 16 years old and my boyfriend is 19 we want to move in together but my parents aren’t agree but I really wanna do it. I currently work and my boyfriend too so we are really able to pay our bills but my parents are not agree. I’m thinking about running away but I’m scare they will put charges on him,but I want to be with him.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X