•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod5
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

You mentioned your boyfriend wanting to leave home before he’s 18. The easiest way to leave home is with parental permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to his parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone he trust as far as transferring custody. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. You mentioned his guardians not allowing him to work, if you would like a legal aid option to maybe see if there are other options, please call or chat with us so that we may find one for you.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, Me and my boyfriend are 16 and he’s debating running away due to mental abuse, but he doesn’t know if he can do that without dragging me and my family into trouble by harboring a runaway (he’s debated emancipation, but his gurdians won’t let him get a job)

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

The short answer to your question is no: a 16 year old, no matter their gender, cannot legally move *anywhere* without parental consent. Each state has what is called an Age of Majority, which is when you're legally considered an adult. Most states consider this at 18, though there are a couple of states where it's a little bit older. If you're not at the age of majority in your state, your parents are legally still responsible for you.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about what's going on, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Guest replied
    Can a female 16 of age move in with her boyfriend without parent consent

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.
    Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15 and want to move in with my boyfriend when he turns 16 in October, I turn 16 in February so the age gap is only 4 months, I live in Scotland and he lives in England and we've dated for nearly 3 years, is it possible for me to move in with him when I'm 15 and he's 16?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. We are sorry to hear that you do not like your living situation with your parents.

We are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you home because you are a minor. You could consider asking your parents to visit your boyfriend. If something is going on at home that is making you want to leave you could consider speaking with a school counselor.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide you support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi! I don't really like living with my parents and I am 15 wanting to move in with my boyfriend who is 17 turning 18 in November. He lives in Florida and I live in Los Angeles. He is planning to move to Los Angeles in a couple of months with his grandma. Is it illegal if I live with his grandma and him in Los Angeles?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Good afternoon! First of all, thank you so much for reaching out to NRS today - it is very brave of you. It is understandable to feel conflicted in this situation.

One service that we offer here at NRS is something called a conference call. You reach out on our hotline, give us a little background of what is going on, and then ask to have a conference call allowing you to speak to your parents with the support of one of our liners. They will be able to mediate the conversation and possibly be able to discuss with your parents how you are feeling and what you want to do. It could be something constructive to figure out what the next step to take would be - but this option is obviously completely up to you if you choose to do it.

Although we are not legal experts here, in Massachusetts, once you turn 18 you are the age of majority and have full legal capacity meaning you can make all legal decisions for yourself. This means that legally, you would have the right to move wherever you choose. Before you turn 18, however, if your parents do call the police, they have the legal power to bring you home. Again, we are not legal experts here, but this is the information we have.

Lastly, you can use our chat service to have a more in depth conversation and explore a few more options for the situation. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and our website is https://www.1800runaway.org. We are here 24/7 and someone will be happy to talk through the situation. We are glad you contacted us and understand that it can sometimes be difficult to ask for help.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Good Afternoon, I am about to turn 18 and want to move out and live with my boyfriend and his family, he is 16. my parents are not okay with it but his are fine with me staying there until we can get a place together. Am I going to be okay legally in this situation? This is in Massachusetts

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on with you and your boyfriend. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. Ultimately, it is up to you what you think is best for your situation because only you have the power to decide.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi so i'm in a tricky spot you see my bf is 16 and he will be 17 soon and the other hand i'm 15 and i'll be 16 soon so the deal is this he lives in michgian usa whille i live in massauchsetts usa so the thing is we want to see each other both in person but like how we both have parents who are scary and hate the fact that we're dating so wtf do we do like how can we see each other like idk what to do at this point runaway from home without anyone knowing and ******** or never see him at all like my bf tried to runaway before to see me but he forgot to bring all this stuff and what not and then his parents found out and he got into trouble and his parents called the police and ******** it got bad so like idk what to do at this point because like all we want to do is see each other and stuff so i guess i just really want to know is how can i see him please help me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a tough situation, and we hope to help you out.
    It sounds like you want to move in with your adult boyfriend, but you do not want him to get in trouble. It is good of you to think about what might happen to your boyfriend. It is true that when an adult houses a minor who has run away, or left home without parental consent, they are harboring a minor, which is illegal. It might also be important to consider that while running away is not illegalyou’re your parents report you, the police can make a good faith effort to find you and bring you home. It may be likely that the police could easily find out you are staying with your boyfriend. The easiest way to live with your boyfriend, then, will be to get parental consent.
    If you want to talk through your options for leaving or staying, we are always here to listen, here to help. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUN-AWAY. We wish you the best as you make this tough decision, and hope you will reach out if you need us.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    im 15 and my bf is gonna be 18 in 2 months we both really want to move in together but my family hates him but i cant wait till im 18 i need help idk what to do i need to move in with him but i dont want him getting in trouble

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. If you leave home without permission as a minor, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal but it is a status offense. This means your parents can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying.

The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X