No announcement yet.

Can I Move In With My Boyfriend at 16?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Hello I am reaching out because I am living with both my parents but my mom is really toxic I am 15 but will be turning 16 in exactly a month from today my boyfriend is 17 and will be turning 18 on November 23rd and my parents do not support us being together at all they threatened to call the police on him because he is about to be 18 but there is nothing wrong about it because the legal age of concept is 16 which I will be very soon. But anyways what will happen if I move in with my boyfriend as soon as he turns 18? Will we get in trouble because we would be doing it without my parents permission. Will he get sent to jail? Will I be forced to go back home? I need answers I want to know??


    • #32
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

      National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


      • #33
        Hi I’m wondering if I can move in with my boyfriend I’m 16 and he’s 16 he lives with his grandparents because his mom and dad gave him up they didn’t want him and he talks about it all the time to me and he cry’s and I feel bad Bc he tells me I’m the only person he has left and no one cares about him like I do he has abandonment issues and I’m here for him I have an absent father but anyway we have so much in common we feel like we don’t get to see each other enough that’s why he wants me to move in I would love to move in also and his grandparents would love to have me as well but I have a crazy mother she’s very controlling and rude has bad energy all the time is an alcoholic drinker and it’s very upsetting I hate living with her and my siblings are always rude to me and I’m pretty much a slave when I’m home I’m always cleaning my moms house and everyone’s mess or they will be mad at me I’m only happy when I’m hanging out with my boyfriend and his family it’s pretty sad to say but when I’m not with my boyfriend and I’m at work I love working Bc I’m away from home I hate being there something or anything we can do bc I’m suffering here and I hate it here please I hope u read this and help me out


        • ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
          If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
          We hope to hear from you soon.
          Be safe and stay strong,
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove