No announcement yet.

Can I Move In With My Boyfriend at 16?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 17 years old and just had a baby. I am in the foster care system. My parents lost custody of me and my other siblings, so we were placed with my grandmother. . There is no place in my grandmother's house for me and my child and nothing was done to help accommodate us. My grandmother expects me and the baby to sleep together in my bed. We had a regular court appearance scheduled last week, so I asked my attorney if I could live with my 18 year old boyfriend and his family and was told that I could decide where I wanted to live. My sister who is 16 years old is living with my grandmother even though her father (she has a different father) won legal custody of her, and social services knows this, and they let her continue to live with my grandmother. My baby was born 10 days ago, I advised my family and my attorney that I was going to live with my boyfriend's family but now my grandmother said social services called her stating that they will report me as a runaway, and that my boyfriend's parents can be arrested. My grandmother is angry because she's afraid the money she gets for me will be taken away. No one is trying to do this and I didn't runaway. My family comes to visit me and the baby at my boyfriend's house all the time. My boyfriend's family has the room set up for me and the baby, takes us to our doctor's appointments and have even given us rides to a court appearance. My family couldn't and hasn't done this for me. They even told me that they didn't have room in their car for me or my baby and that I had to find my own way to court. I have left a message for my attorney, as he was the one that advised me that I could move in with my boyfriend, but I wanted to see if there was any additional information I should be informed of.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. From what you shared, you have been dealing with a lot lately and it sounds like you have been doing your best to handle it responsibly. From what we know, general runaway protocol does not apply to minors who are in the foster care system. Your attorney would know best what your legal rights are when it comes to where you can live and how to proceed from here. Speaking to your family and attorney about the situation was definitely a good step to take. It sounds like your family is not able to provide for you or your child, and moving to your boyfriend's house would be a much more adequate and supportive living situation for both of you. It could be helpful to contact a caseworker if one is assigned to you, to notify them of the situation. Social services might be under the impression that you left home without permission since you are still in the custody of the state. You have already been taking all of the right steps to prioritize your and your baby's well-being.

If you need any additional support through this challenging time, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Good luck,
      NRS

Hi, I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 18, can I legally move into his apartment without parental consent?
    We live in Columbus, GA

Comment

Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out to us.
      To begin with, you mentioned that you want to legally move into your boyfriend’s apartment, without parental consent. In most states, anyone under 18 is still considered a minor. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but if you decide to leave without your parent’s consent, your guardians may contact the authorities, and file a runaway report. In the same way, whoever is harboring a runaway, in this case being your boyfriend, may face some consequences. An option to consider would be to reach out to your local non-emergency number, and asking them about your states local laws and runaway procedures. You may also look into talking to your parents about any future plans you may have with your boyfriend.
      Again, thank you so much for reaching out to us! If you feel like you need to talk further, you may reach out to us anytime at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi, I’m 16 years old and I know you probably get this a lot and my boyfriend is 18 years old. I live in Alabama but my mom doesn’t mind that I live with him. She mainly wants me out and I think it was because she was kicked out at 16 at her age. But I also have probation for 6 months. Will they allow me to live with him? I haven’t started probation yet but will be on the 21st.

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. If you have probation it might be a good idea to ask the police about what your options are as that requires legal attention. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

hi, i’m going to be 16 in february. i was abused mental and physically at my old home. i moved in with my other grandmother. and i have moved 3 different times. i lost my mother at a young age. and lived with my great nana. i made the decision to move in with my moms mom. i moved out of there for reasons. and came to live with my dads mom. i am tired of being passed around and i just want somewhere permanent. i have a boyfriend that is very good and is going to graduate this year. he lives with his family and they have invited me into their home. they are great people and are very nice to me. he is 17 and i’m going to be 16. can i go live with him and my family legally? without permission?

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear things are so unstable at home. You deserve to live somewhere that makes you feel safe and supported.

Generally speaking, you need permission from your legal guardian to leave home and live somewhere else. If you leave without permission, your guardian can report you as a runaway and potentially have you returned home by the police. If your guardian does give you permission to live with your boyfriend then you would be able to live there legally.

We hope this information is helpful and answered your questions. If you would like to talk more in detail about your situation, please do not hesitate to call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Good luck,
          NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X