Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 18 and Ready to Leave

I've already turned 18 and have graduated high school. Due to some family issues I feel like it might be time for me to get out of the house. I just want to be sure that I won't have any reports filed on me saying I'm a missing person. I plan on moving across the US, and try to make my old identity disappear. I also plan on legally changing my name. Even though I've planned out this I feel like it will blow up and I'll be forced back into my house. Can you please help?

Re: I'm 18 and Ready to Leave

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are ready to make the next move in your life by leaving your family and home to another state. You are 18 and graduated form high school but you just want to make sure that you are legally allowed to leave home without the risk of a missing person report being filed. We are not legal experts, but 18 generally is the age of majority unless otherwise specified in the state of residence. It may help to just double check with local non-emergency police department. If you left without anyone knowing, then that may worry family into thinking you have gone missing- in which a missing person report may be filed.
    It sounds like the issues with your family may come into play if/when you leave. We are here to listen and to help in any way. Perhaps we can explore some different ways that you can tell your family of your decision to leave. We can brainstorm some of the things you would like for them to know. We can also offer various resources to best fit what you need.

Please consider reaching out by phone or chat if you would like to talk more about what you are going through.

Whatever you decide to do, please be safe.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

What would happen?

If I went ahead and told my parents I'm going to move put they can't really do anyithing about it right? Since I'll be considered an adult, if I choose to move out with them knowing they can't call the authorities to make me return, right?

Comment

Reply: : What would happen

Hello,
        Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are not legal experts and we also don’t know enough about your situation to give you an exact answer. You are welcome to call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or try our live chat service at www.1800Runaway.org and tell us more about what’s going on.

You might also consider contacting your local police department to get information about the age you can legally move out of your parent’s home.

Take care and good luck,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X