No announcement yet.

Many Questions

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Many Questions

    Well, hi. Sorry if this post is a little awkward - I've never posted on a forum like this before. Basically, I'm 16 and I'd really like to not be where I am. Since I was 7, my parents have been divorced and the events that have been going on since then have made me kind of have to grow up pretty quickly. This year, I graduated early because I felt so stuck doing the same routine everyday that my grades and mental health started to suffer. I guess I just felt like I could being doing more and like I'm ready to not be a dependent. I've researched quite a bit on things like emancipation & how'd I'd provide for myself if I did so; however, I still have some gray areas. First, one of my goals has always been to move out of the country (my country is the US and I'd like to move to England) & I was just wondering if that'd be possible with not being 18 but emancipated. What kind of visa(s) would I have to apply for? Can I be accepted for jobs still? Is housing something that would be difficult to obtain if I'm not 18? (I do realize it'd be quite expensive just to move all of my stuff to another country, get an apartment, all the bills, plane ride, etc. but I've been saving for years). Also, is emancipation even worth trying to do? I know my parents wouldn't agree to it and I don't think my family's situation is bad enough for a judge to agree that I'd be better off providing for myself.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    Be safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp