Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents forcing me to foreign country at 18

Hi I am currently 16 years old but my parents are forcing me to go back to their home country, Bangladesh, once I graduate high school (which I will be 18 at the time, legal adult age where I live which is New York City). They want me to go to college there because it is easier and less time for me to become a doctor which I don’t even want to be, that’s my parents dream. Note that I don’t want to be a doctor and they know I don’t want to go there but are forcing me to ! What can I legally do? Can I involve the police and get them charged? And can they actually send me there without my consent once I’m 18? What can I do to put an end to this?

Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It's not right for parents to push you towards a future that you aren't OK with. We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, once you are 18 you are considered a legal adult and can live where you please.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X