No announcement yet.

Help please...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help please...

    First, allow me to apologize if I'm not doing this forum thing correctly but I have nowhere else to go. I am 17 and my girlfriend 16. She's planning on running away to live here with me but the problem is we live so far apart. We live in California but the distance is just too much, she lives in Sacramento and I in a Pomona. (Sorry if that's a bit personal but I suppose everything is here...). Anyway, I have heard she can be emancipated so she can go freely but I fear it may be too lengthy for her. You see, like most others she feels neglected but was even sexually harassed by her mother's boyfriend. Police in her area talked to her but don't have the evidence to pin him. Her mother is a horrible influence to her and neglects her at times. She feels the great need to just run away from home and come live with me where she can FEEL at home. I was searching if this was going to cause any problems at all with my own family for harboring her if it comes down to it eventually. I saw that these forums were the most active and I just had to ask something. I want her to keep going to school and not be stressed out about it even at home, I want her to be happy and lately with her household it seems unlikely. So what can I do for her and what can she do? I want her to come but I don't want her to risk getting in serious trouble with the police or with strangers on her way and I don't want my family to go through charges for harboring her. (You may have seen this somewhere else, I am not very god at these forum things...)

  • #2
    RE: Help please...

    Thank you for reaching out. It can be very difficult to ask for help and it was very brave of you to do so. It sounds like this situation is very difficult for you as you want your girlfriend to be safe and happy but you don’t want your family to get in trouble. It sounds incredibly frustrating for you and your girlfriend that the police were unable to arrest her abuser. It is wonderful to see that you are trying to be responsible and figure out our options.
    We are not legal experts, but if your girlfriend was to leave and her parents made a runaway report she may be brought back by the police if they were to find her and your family could be charged with harboring a runaway. Emancipation is an option that your girlfriend has, but it can be a quite lengthy process and her mother would have to allow it. If she wanted to talk about her abuse she could always talk to us or Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453. If you would like to discuss these options with us further you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Thank you again for reaching out. It is wonderful to see that you are trying to help your girlfriend the best way you can. We wish you the best of luck and please feel free to call us if you ever need more help. We are here 24/7 365 days a year and we would be more than happy to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp