No announcement yet.

13 years old and want to move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i move out into my friends house without my mom and dad reason and have her mom ask them for me. please reply .

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you are a minor and do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home. It’s great to hear that your friend's parents are so supportive! If you go to stay at their house without prior permission from your parents, they could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents view the situation.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

Im 12 and next year I'll 13 but I really want to move out of my house. I cant stand my mom. She always threatens my dog and says that she doesnt care if she kills him. Or if he stays crippled. She also threatens me when she brings the subject up. She says that shes basically gonna torchure me and that I cant cry or she'll go even harder on me. She says that I should be thankfull that she hasnt done any of that. And its even worse because my dads not here. Im just trying to do my best. Sometimes she even leaves me home alone all day and I have to do all of the house chores. And, if I miss one she will yell at me. And when i start to tear up she threatens to hit me. All i want is peace.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Your mom should not be speaking to you so hurtfully and so threateningly. It must be really difficult to get by in an environment where you don’t feel safe at all. You do not deserve to be treated the way your mom is treating you. If you feel like she is being abusive, it might be worth it to talk to the National Child Abuse Hotline and ask them about reporting. They are reachable at 1-800-422-4453 and you can ask them about the reporting process and what could happen. If there is an adult that you can trust, like a teacher or counselor, it might be a good idea to try talking to them about what is going on and they may be able to help you. Additionally, you can always give us a call 24/7 on our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org if you want to see what other options there are for you.

Best,
      NRS

I wanna move out I’m 12. I have ran away once but she fought me the same day. I am tired of my mom. She constantly yells at me for no reason.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It seems like you are going through a difficult time right now.
      We are not legal experts but have some knowledge on running away. If you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you home. One option to consider is to talk with your school counselor about what is going on. Sometimes talking to someone about what’s going can be helpful and they may be able to provide you with resources. Another option would be to talk with your mother about how you feel and what has been going on.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

I am 13 and am wondering if I can move out if I get permission from my parents?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. This is a great question to ask. Generally speaking, until you reach the age of majority (18 in most states) your parents have the legal right to decide where you live. If your parents give you permission to live somewhere that is safe and supportive then you can leave home. Although they can take back this permission at any time. If you leave home without permission from your parents then they can report you as a runaway. Running away is not illegal, but the police would likely return you home.

We want to be here as a support for you while you figure out your next steps. Our hotline is available 24/7 to help and be a listening ear. You can reach out again at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org if you want to talk more about your situation.

Be safe,
      NRS

Hi I’m a 13 year old girl and want to move in with my friend who’s parents agree with it and my mother said I can leave what’s the legal part of this

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Keep in mind that we are not legal experts but one option in general you might want to consider is asking you mother to sign a transfer of custody and guardianship document stating you have her permission to live with your friend’s parent’s. Again we are not legal experts but we can assist you in locating these types of services in your area.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

to start off my dad went in and out of rehab (for alcohol) and my parents got a divorce. My mom has actually gone insane. She yells and I babysit them more then she watches them. she is psycho. She hates my aunt and my grandma and my cousins (my actual best friends) my dad is only nice to her cause he still wants to be able to see my siblings. my dad will be going back to jail soon for his DUI and he got into a BIG car accident while drunk driving in a rental car. so i wouldnt be able to stay with him at all. Through all this, my mom won't let my dad in the house and she claims that she's the good guy in all of this. I'll ask her for something small and she'll go get her nails done and stuff. I literally hate her. if I ask her a question she will straight up lie to me and then accuse my cousins of "filling my head with lies" when we all know that she is lying to everyone and then blaming it on other people. if anyone ever tries to talk to her she will try to make people feel bad for her and she just uses all of this pity and she does this all. the. time. for example my 10,000 braces were FREE and our new porch, FREE. i actually hate her and i have no feelings of love twards her. I feel like i should just kill myself so i don't have to deal with this anymore. i also have 2 friends who wouldn't mind me staying with them and my closely knows them both. advice?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. You mentioned that you feel like you'd rather kill yourself than deal with her. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

It's great to hear that your dad was able to find help for his issues with alcohol. If you’d like to talk to other young people who are dealing with friends or family members who have drinking problems you can check out Alateen. You can find more information about this support group, or find a local meeting here: https://al-anon.org/newcomers/teen-corner-alateen/.

It sounds like maybe your mom isn't understanding how her actions are affecting you. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X