No announcement yet.

13 years old and want to move out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Hey...I wanna move out of my house because my mom makes me feel like everything that happened is my fault she says things like your stupid or dumb and when I borrowed a pencil from my friend she called me a begged but I feel like my sisters are the ones always getting me in trouble however my dad and baby brother are always there for me tho sometimes I feel like ending it all but I know they will all be sad but I don’t know what to do.


    • ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It be really tough living in a house and feel like you are not supported by your mother and that your sisters keep getting you in trouble. It’s good that you have your father and brother who support you. I’m sorry that you are feeling sad and feel like you don’t know what to do. If you ever feel like ending it all, we encourage you to contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1800-279-8255. Also if you need someone to talk to about your feelings you can contact NAMI by texting 741741.
      Unfortunately because you are underage, if you runaway and your parents could file a runaway report they will more than likely bring you back to your home. You always have the option to call us and go over more options like a conference call with your mom to talk about your issues. You could even talk to your guidance counselor at school. If you want more information about the things we talked about today feel free to give us a call 1-800-786-2929 we ae 24/7.Best of luck.

  • #32
    Im 13 years old and just need help telling my parents i want to move out because i feel no love all i feel i shade and hate,help me please.


    • ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

      Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a household where you don't feel loved. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

      It sounds like your parents aren’t fully understanding you when you are trying to relay your thoughts and feelings about your current situation and the shade that they are throwing your way. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

      If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

      Stay safe,

  • #33
    Hi, I am currently 12 years old and I am turning 13 on march 1st. I have done a lot of research, I am not comfortable saying what goes on at home I just wanted to know if I can get emancipated at age 13 or even 12. I want to know if there is anyway I can legally leave my house.


    • ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thank you for contacting NRS for help. From what you shared, it sounds like being at home is really difficult. Reaching out for help is really strong and a good first step. You know your situation best, and we are here to help.

      Getting emancipated at 12 or 13 is likely not possible. Most states require that an individual be at least 16 before filing for emancipation. However, there are a couple of other options that could be helpful for you. We are not certain what is happening at home that is making you feel like you need to leave. If you are being abused or physically harmed in anyway you can file an abuse report. Should you decide to take this route, a caseworker will come to your house to talk to you to decide if home is safe. It is up to the caseworker how they intervene, but they do want to help you and make sure you have somewhere safe to live. You can contact the national child abuse hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or go to to learn more about this process.

      Having a space to talk can help you feel supported during this difficult time and brainstorm possible options. We encourage you to reach out to your school's guidance counselor or another adult you trust. Support systems are really important during difficult situations. We are available 24/7 if you want to talk more about your situation. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our online chat services at

      Be safe,
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove