No announcement yet.

can i lgally move out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can i lgally move out

    Im 17 and i livw in kansas i dont go to school and i have my GED i also have a job i get treated .like dirt here and i would like to move out but i dont know if it is legal or what could happen if sthey call the police also my father and mother passed away and my sister is taking care of me i would have more of a right to move out since they passed away wouldnt i

  • #2
    RE: can i lgally move out

    Thanks for contacting us at National Runaway Safeline.

    We’re sorry to hear about how things are going at home. No one deserves to feel like they don’t matter. We’re also sorry to hear about your parents passing and that life has been so difficult living with your sister.

    It’s great that you have taken so many adult measures to take control of your life. Having a GED at 17 and working already is a huge accomplishment. We’re not legal experts here, but generally you need to be 18 to legally leave your home without a guardian’s consent. If your sister is not your guardian, then you might be able to leave. It depends on a lot of different things. You might be able to call your local police to ask them, because it would be up to them if they would try to find you if your sister reported you missing. If you called in here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we could make that call on your behalf or explore your situation further.

    Best of luck in this difficult time,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp