•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello there,
    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    if i am 18 and married in alabama, can i move out?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that you could move to a state where the age of majority is 18 and enjoy the legal rights of an adult as an 18 year old. However, if your parents did not consent, they could file a runaway report in Alabama and you would be treated with the laws of your home state until you lived long enough in whatever other state to be considered a resident there.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    If you are 18 and live in Alabama, can you move to a different state where the age of majority is 18 and have all the legal benefits of being an adult? If your parents are okay with you crossing state lines, of course.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. It sounds like you are thinking about leaving home after graduation to live in a more positive environment. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. Graduating high school does not have any affect on whether or not you can leave home. Once you reach the age of majority (18 in most states), you are considered a legal adult with the freedom to choose where you live. Unless you live in Mississippi, Alabama, or Nebraksa, you can leave home at 18 without being forced back. We hope this information helps. If you have any more questions or concerns about this, please do not hesitate to contact us directly by phone 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im 17, going to be 18 in around 6 or 5 months. Im graduating in 2021 and was wondering if, after graduation, i was allowed to leave home? My mother (dad is passed) may want me to stay here, maybe not, but depending on whats going on at the time i may see if i could move in with my brother or my aunt. Would i be able to leave this home to an equally maybe even better new home?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Not exactly sure of the time frame. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So I’m about to be 18 in a couple months I’m marrying my long term boyfriend that my parents forbid that I see on the day I go to get married can they file a runaway report if I’m only gone a few hours?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts by any means, we can speak generally on this. The age of majority is the age at which you are considered a legal adult with the legal freedom to choose where you live. In most states the age of majority is 18, but it is older in Alabama(19), Nebraska(19) and Mississippi(21). If you live in one of these three states then you would still be considered a minor. If you leave home without permission as a minor, your parents or legal guardians can report you as a runaway. Running away is not illegal, so you would not be arrested. It is a status offense which means your parents/guardians can ask for police to return you home if they know where you are staying. From what we know, police protocol and laws in your home state are the ones that apply. Now, police approach to runaway reports can vary a lot between police departments. Some police departments may not enforce a runaway report if you are close to turning the age of majority. You can call the non-emergency line for your local police department to ask more about how they would approach this situation and if they would take a runaway report at all. It would also be helpful to call the police department for where you are planning on moving to ask if they would enforce a runaway report from a state with a different age of majority.

We hope this information is helpful as you plan out your next steps. If you have any more questions or you would like to talk more about your situation, please do not hesitate to reach out again. We are available 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 and live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Stay safe and good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    If i move out when I’m 18 to a different state what would happen

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today and telling us a bit about what’s going on with your mom. We’re always here for you and will help in any way we can. You’re not alone in this, please feel free to chat with us on our website or call into our safeline if you’d like to talk more.

We are so sorry that your step-dad is hurting you. You absolutely don’t deserve to be in an abusive household. The way you’re being treated is not acceptable. You deserve to be loved and to feel safe. If you want to report your step-dad for the abuse, Child Help (800) 422-4453 or www.childhelp.org is always available, as are we. Unfortunately, the age of majority (where you’re considered a legal adult) is 19 in Alabama. If you try to leave before you turn 19 it would be considered running away. We can try to get you connected with some legal aid resources, they may know about options for you to be able to move out early. We are here to brainstorm with you and help you in any way we can.

If you feel like running away is your best option, then we are also here to make sure you stay safe. We can look to see if there’s any runaway shelters in your area, if you want to give us a call or chat with us.

Again, thanks for reaching out to us, it was very brave. Please call or chat with us on our website if you’d like to talk more about what’s going on at home. There may be options or other resources that could help you. You’re not alone!

Stay strong, NRS

Guest replied
    I am 17 and am about to turn 18 in a month. Once I do so am I able to move out of my parents home and into my grandparents home without me getting in trouble? Also my parents take my money from my job and do what they want to do with it, and my step father grabbed my neck the other day. Can I move out and still receive benefits?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    In most states you can legally move out at 18, since it is typically the majority age or age you become an adult. However in Alabama, Nebraska, and Mississippi they have older majority ages. If you live in one of those states, you might reach out to local police to see if it is possible for you to move out without being listed as a runaway.

We hope that information is helpful. Please call or chat us if you would like to talk through your sitation: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org. Best of luck.

Guest replied
    So I am 17 nearing the age of 18, I live in alabama. If I were to move to illinois which the legal age is 18 not 19. Could I get in trouble if I am 18?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

In most states you can legally move out at 18, since it is typically the majority age or age you become an adult. However in Alabama, Nebraska, and Mississippi they have older majority ages. If you live in one of those states, you might reach out to local police to see if it is possible for you to move out without being listed as a runaway.

We hope that information is helpful. Please call or chat us if you would like to talk through your sitation: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X