X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there. Thanks for contacting us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

It sounds like things at home are pretty difficult for you right now, and we're sorry to hear that. If you were to go to your friend's house to stay permanently and without consent, there IS a possibility that you would have to return home, despite any mental and emotional abuse that may be occurring there. There's also a chance that the friend you're staying with could get into trouble with the law for allowing you to stay there, based on harboring a runaway. Do keep in mind that these are potential issues that could arise, but that doesn't always mean they will. Unfortunately how these sort of issues are resolved can really vary, but it makes sense to err on the side of caution.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about your situation, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I know that the age of minority is 19 in Alabama. I’m 18 and will be turning 19 is 6 months. I stay over at my friends house a lot who is already an adult by law. I feel like the environment at the parents house is toxic for me mentally and emotionally so I like being somewhere else simply because it’s a better environment for me to be in. My parents are very controlling and Manipulative. I’m safe at my friends and I’m taken care of. My mom says she will call the police and lie on me because I’m not 19 yet and then I would have to stay with her. However sense they do mentally and emotionally harm me would I still have to return home or can I still stay with my friend?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out, we are glad that you did.
    It sounds like you want to move out after graduation, but with the age of majority in AL being 19, there is a question about what will happen in GA.
    We are not legal experts and can't answer your question definitively, but we can suggest calling the non-emergency number for police in the GA community you plan to move to and ask the question. Most likely, since the age of majority in GA is 18, they wouldn't have an issue.
    Perhaps establishing permanent residency by changing your driver's license or state ID to GA as soon as possible will help. Check the GA DMV for the specific documents to establish residency.
    We hope this helps.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Can I move out in alabama at 18 ? I’m waiting until I graduate but I was going to go to Georgia. Will I be taken back if I go to Georgia or will I be left alone ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hey there, and thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

In reading over your post and because it sounds like there might be some nuances to your situation, we want to make sure that we have all of the pertinent details in order to best answer your question. In order to do this, we'll need a little more information. If you're open to it, you can reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. This will allow us to develop a better understanding of your situation and help us decide on the best ways that we can support you. It also gives you the opportunity to vent, be heard, discuss some of your options, and be connected with resources/referrals in your community (if that's something you'd like).

We hope to hear from you soon.

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi. I am 18 and I turn 19 in a month. I want to leave my parents house to move with my grandma (who was a former guardian until my dad got full custody) could I leave without their consent to move back? Or could they force me to stay until my birthday? And is my dad still considered my legal guardian?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

We are glad you reach out to us. It sounds like you have a plan and it is exciting to start work on your dreams. We are not legal experts, but typically in most states the age of majority (when you no longer need your parent’s permission to leave home) is 18. However, in Alabama the age of majority is 19. We suggest that youth with this question contact their local police department to see if they enforce a runaway report on someone over 18 and how they handle it if the youth has gone out of state. If you are not comfortable talking with the police, we can call them for you. If you call our crisis hotline at 1 (800) RUNAWAY which is available 24/7, and completely confidential, we can do that as a conference call. If you have more questions or concerns or need help along the way you can chat with us anytime through our website or call the crisis hotline. Good luck.

Guest replied
    I am 18 years old, can I move to Texas by myself without parental consent? It’s time for me to start on my own dreams, with or without my parents support.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. This is an interesting question because Alabama is one of the few states where a youth is still considered a minor at 18. We aren't legal experts so we can't say for sure what would happen in this situation. The best thing to do would be to either contact the local police or perhaps a lawyer. Here is a legal aid resource we found in our database that might be able to give you a more solid answer to your question:

www.legalservicesalabama.org
    (866) 456-4995

We hope that helps. Feel free to also call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via www.1800runaway.org. We are confidential and open 24/7.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello! So I'm 18 and I turn 19 in basically 9 months. If I just leave my home and move to a state where it is legal for 18 year olds would I be able to do so or if my parents made me go home I would have to?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. This is an interesting question because Alabama is one of the few states where a youth is still considered a minor at 18. We aren't legal experts so we can't say for sure what would happen in this situation. The best thing to do would be to either contact the local police or perhaps a lawyer. Here is a legal aid resource we found in our database that might be able to give you a more solid answer to your question:

www.legalservicesalabama.org
    (866) 456-4995

We hope that helps. Feel free to also call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via www.1800runaway.org. We are confidential and open 24/7.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am writing in regards to my sons girlfriend. She will be 18 in a next month and wants to leave home (not to live with my son though). She has lived in TN since she was 3 years old but is under an AL custody order which states she is a minor until the age of 19. Can she be forced to stay in her custodial (father) parents home after 18 even though she and her father are not residents of AL?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear you are having problems at home, and we are glad you contacted us to figure out what next steps you can take.
    In your state of Alabama, the legal age of majority, or the age at which a person is a legal adult, is 19. So, at 18, you are still technically considered a minor in your state. If you leave home as a minor without parental consent, the police may become involved in bringing you back home, if your guardian reports you as a runaway.
    If you go to another state, like South Carolina, in which you are already an adult, you may be outside the jurisdiction of your Alabama police department. The easiest way to ensure avoiding this, is getting parental consent to leave. Leaving home and traveling across states can be a an intense and involved process, and sometimes it is best to talk to parents/guardians about this decision. If you want someone else to talk to, we are always here to listen and to help. We can also carry out a conference call between you and your grandparent to discuss this situation. You would just need to call us first at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    We hope some of this information was helpful. We appreciate your reaching out, and we want to commend you on your bravery in making a path that is best for you.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi. I live in Alabama and will be turning 18 soon. I live with my grandparents and wanted to know if I could legally move out at 18? It's a lot of problems at home and I was going to move with my friend In SC and finish school up there. I was wondering could I legally do that?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello, thank you for reaching out to NRS. It is understandable why you might be feeling frustrated, constantly arguing can take a toll on people. While we are not legal experts here at NRS, it depends on the state that you live in. In most states, 18 is the age where you are legally considered an adult, therefore you have the right to determine where you would like to live and your parents cannot force you to live with them. In the case that you do decide to move out, we do suggest that you come up with a plan and find a safe place to stay before leaving. Perhaps staying with a close friend or family member might be options you can consider. However, if you need further help coming up with a plan or exploring different options we encourage you to reach out to the NRS chat at 1800runaway.org or the NRS phone number at 1-800-786-2929.

Take care,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X