No announcement yet.

Moving out at 18 in Alabama

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i am 18 and married in alabama, can i move out?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there,
      Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
      Take care,
      NRS

Hey I’m 16 and I wanted to know could I move in with my cousin when I turn 18 if my parents aren’t on bored with it because I’m ready to move because of family stuff and I have a good job and I’ll be graduated in about a year I’ll be 17 in February so by time in 18 I should be out of high so could I move in with her or can they fill me as a runaway ??

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey I’m 16 and I wanted to know could I move in with my cousin when I turn 18 if my parents aren’t on bored with it because I’m ready to move because of family stuff and I have a good job and I’ll be graduated in about a year I’ll be 17 in February so by time in 18 I should be out of high so could I move in with her or can they fill me as a runaway ??
      ----

Hello!

Thanks for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline! It's great that you're thinking about the future and making a plan for yourself. In most states you're considered a legal adult at the age of 18, so at that time, you can absolutely make decisions about where you live for yourself. And because you'd be considered a legal adult, your parents could not file you as a runaway. However, it IS important to know that if you decide to leave and no one knows where you've gone or how to find you, your parents may still file a missing persons report. It sounds like you have a pretty good working plan in progress, and as you continue to think about next steps toward independence, it might be a good idea to start thinking about moving costs and the other expenses that come with living independently (rent, food, utilities, travel, insurance, etc.). You're off to a great start, and if you ever want to talk about your plan in more detail or have any other questions, please feel free connect with us through our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat at www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck!

NRS

What if i am afraid that i will be harmed by a person at my house if i stay? Ill be 19 in less than two months and i live in alabama. More details available if necessary

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to Thee National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
      You do not deserve to be afraid of someone who lives at your house, and we are sorry to hear that is your situation.

We are not legal experts but in Alabama the legal age to leave home without parental consent is 19 years old. If you were to leave before turning 19 it is a possibility that you can be brought back home. If you let the police know you are afraid of someone who resides in your home, they may be able to investigate it. Because you are so close to being 19 years old the police may not even take a runaway report, you can find this information by calling the local police department and asking them.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. Best of luck,
      NRS

Hello I am 18 and I live with my dad but I’m ready to move out bc all we do is argue and I’m tired of it but my father will not let me move out but I am currently paying rent to live with him bc he lives with a roommate so I’m wanting to know if I can legally move out with out getting in trouble and the law bringing me back to my dads house.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thank you for reaching out to NRS. It is understandable why you might be feeling frustrated, constantly arguing can take a toll on people. While we are not legal experts here at NRS, it depends on the state that you live in. In most states, 18 is the age where you are legally considered an adult, therefore you have the right to determine where you would like to live and your parents cannot force you to live with them. In the case that you do decide to move out, we do suggest that you come up with a plan and find a safe place to stay before leaving. Perhaps staying with a close friend or family member might be options you can consider. However, if you need further help coming up with a plan or exploring different options we encourage you to reach out to the NRS chat at 1800runaway.org or the NRS phone number at 1-800-786-2929.

Take care,
      NRS

Hi. I live in Alabama and will be turning 18 soon. I live with my grandparents and wanted to know if I could legally move out at 18? It's a lot of problems at home and I was going to move with my friend In SC and finish school up there. I was wondering could I legally do that?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear you are having problems at home, and we are glad you contacted us to figure out what next steps you can take.
      In your state of Alabama, the legal age of majority, or the age at which a person is a legal adult, is 19. So, at 18, you are still technically considered a minor in your state. If you leave home as a minor without parental consent, the police may become involved in bringing you back home, if your guardian reports you as a runaway.
      If you go to another state, like South Carolina, in which you are already an adult, you may be outside the jurisdiction of your Alabama police department. The easiest way to ensure avoiding this, is getting parental consent to leave. Leaving home and traveling across states can be a an intense and involved process, and sometimes it is best to talk to parents/guardians about this decision. If you want someone else to talk to, we are always here to listen and to help. We can also carry out a conference call between you and your grandparent to discuss this situation. You would just need to call us first at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      We hope some of this information was helpful. We appreciate your reaching out, and we want to commend you on your bravery in making a path that is best for you.
      Sincerely,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X