I need to get away from my adopted parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to get away from my adopted parents

I'm a 16 year old who is about a month and a half pregnant and i need to get away form my parents until im able to get emancipated. i feel like the only thing i can do is run away until i am able to get out of there legally. i just feel like i have no other choice than to run away form them. my mom is physically abuse, and my dad neglects me and doesnt pay attention to me, but he say sim not allowed to move out of his house. i just need help and dont know what else to do besides run away. they are my adopted parents as well and i just cant stand them they make me feel depressed, and unwanted and unwelcome... and im afraid if i run away that he will call the cops on me and then he will hurt me. i want to get out of there so my boyfriend and i can raise our baby without stress when it comes. please help!!!!!!!!!

Re: I need to get away from my adopted parents

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us through the NRS online forum. It sounds like things are stressful and scary for you right now. It is brave of you and quite strong to reach out for help. You mentioned your mother is physically abusive toward you and your father has been neglectful. We are sorry to hear you have not been receiving the support and love you need right now especially since you are pregnant. Your safety is important. There are laws against abuse and neglect, and if you feel hurt or abused in any way you have the right to contact authorities (911 for emergency assistance if in danger at any moment and CPS to report the abuse that's going on). Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is a national support line and resource center where you can talk about options of being placed somewhere else as well as informing CPS of the type of treatment you have been exposed to at home. If you needed help reaching out, making a report, finding safe places to go, or just simply wanting to talk, we are here for you 24/7 by phone. We also have chat and email services if you cannot call in. We want to help as best as we can.

We hope to hear from you soon so that we can help you. Please be safe.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I have called the police on my parents and the police didn't do anything and they took my moms side.... and im just worried that my dad will call the cops on me if i run away..? Am i allowed to go to my local courthouse and tell them that i want to have a new guardian because my parents abuse and neglect me? My boyfriend says that i can talk to a judge and tell them i want to appoint a new guardian and i'm just not sure what to do or how it works, i have tried looking it up and have gotten nowhere! I'm just not sure what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsmod6 View Post
        Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us through the NRS online forum. It sounds like things are stressful and scary for you right now. It is brave of you and quite strong to reach out for help. You mentioned your mother is physically abusive toward you and your father has been neglectful. We are sorry to hear you have not been receiving the support and love you need right now especially since you are pregnant. Your safety is important. There are laws against abuse and neglect, and if you feel hurt or abused in any way you have the right to contact authorities (911 for emergency assistance if in danger at any moment and CPS to report the abuse that's going on). Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is a national support line and resource center where you can talk about options of being placed somewhere else as well as informing CPS of the type of treatment you have been exposed to at home. If you needed help reaching out, making a report, finding safe places to go, or just simply wanting to talk, we are here for you 24/7 by phone. We also have chat and email services if you cannot call in. We want to help as best as we can.

We hope to hear from you soon so that we can help you. Please be safe.

Take care,

NRS
        I have called the police on my parents and the police didn't do anything and they took my moms side.... My mom has also been to providence, (a mental health unit in my home town) twice before, and she is not mentally stable, and she isn't even mentally stable to maintain a job. My dad wasn't in my life very much until i was 13 years old, but he still neglects me, and pays more attention to my stepmom. he spends my social security money on her and not me. I want to appoint my boyfriends grandma as my legal guardian, or someone in my biological family as my legal guardian instead of having someone from and a family that i was forcefully adopted into, be my guardian and make me suffer and feel depressed, unwanted, and unloved and unwelcome everyday. My boyfriends grandma makes me feel so loved and cared for, and my biological family loves me alot and makes me feel great as well. My boyfriends grandma and my boyfriend himself want me to just run away to his grandmas house and live there until i can get emancipated.I would really love to live up there, and i feel scared for my health if i continue to stay with my adopted parents. Also, i'm just worried that my dad will call the cops on me if i run away..? Am i allowed to go to my local courthouse and tell them that i want to have a new guardian because my parents abuse and neglect me? My boyfriend says that i can talk to a judge and tell them i want to appoint a new guardian and i'm just not sure what to do or how it works, i have tried looking it up and have gotten nowhere! I'm just not sure what to do.

Comment

Hello,

It sounds like you’re in a tough situation. We want to commend you for your bravery in standing up for yourself. That takes a lot of maturity and resolve. This is understandably a frustrating situation and we want to encourage you to remain strong.

We are not legal experts here, so unfortunately we can’t speak about what you are allowed to do and not allowed to do in a legal sense. That might be a good question for a lawyer or a legal aid. We’d be more than happy to connect you with a resource of this kind in your area if you wanted to give us a call here at 1-800-786-2929. You could also check with your local police about what their policy regarding runaways are, since technically it is not a crime to run away from home.

What could happen is, as you mentioned, your father might call the police and file a runaway report. This would serve as a means for the police to take you back home if they were to come into contact with you. Whoever you stay with could be charged with Harboring a Runaway, which is generally a misdemeanor offense. Again, we’re not legal experts, but the police might be able to tell you for sure what could happen.

Best of luck,

NRS
          Last edited by ccsmod9; 03-02-2016, 06:00 PM.
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

RE: RE: I need to get away from my adopted parents

Thank you for reaching out again.

For further support, we strongly encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and look forward to your call. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Comment

I need to get away frm my adopted mom , shes just too much for me to handle , i just cant anymore . i cant keep gettin treated like a servant . i just cant ima run away at this point .

Comment

• ccsmod15
                ccsmod15 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey there,
                Thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seems like you are going through a lot with your adoptive parents and are feeling stressed out in the home. It’s understandable to feel upset when it seems like you aren’t getting the support you need and feel used by your guardian instead of helped by them.
                We here at NRS want you to know we are here to listen and support you through this as best we can. You deserve to be listened to and we want you to be able to share your story so that we can provide resources that could help you through this difficult situation.
                You can reach us by chatting online at 1800runaway.org if you only have access to the internet. Or you can call us on our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 so that we can provide personal crisis counseling to you.
                We look forward to hearing from you soon and are available 24/7,
                NRS.

Do these chats go to any kind authority of any kind, if it is ok for me to ask?

Comment

• ccsmod15
                ccsmod15 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there!
                We appreciate your question, thank you for asking! This is a totally okay question to ask.

The short answer is no: The National Runaway Safeline is a confidential 24/7 hotline and chatline. We don’t share your information with anyone. The long answer is, yes, but: all of our crisis counselors are mandated reporters. This means if a youth chats in on our line and lets us know they’re being abused, gives us their identifying information (full name and locating information like an address or telephone number) and asks us to help them report it, we call DCFS on the youth’s behalf. We take the responsibility of being mandated reporters very seriously, while also understanding that sometimes contacting authorities or initiating abuse reports is not always the most healthy option for the youth who come to us looking for guidance. What this means for you is, our primary goal is to listen to you first and be there to connect you to resources you might need, and we don’t share that information or anything you talk to us about with anyone.
                I hope this helps! If you’d like to talk to us about the situation your headline describes, we really hope we get to hear from you soon. Please feel free to reach out to us at 1(800) RUNAWAY, or you can chat with one of our crisis counselors online at 1800runaway.org. Take care!

Sincerely,

NRS
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X