Moving out at 17 in Michigan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I’m turning 17 in 3 months and I am living in a mentally abusive home and I was wondering if I could legally leave at 17 and live with my boyfriend I’m in mi and I’ve down research that says the police can’t force you back home

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for contacting NRS. It sounds like you’ve already done some research. Have you already contacted the local police department to see how they handle runaways locally? Usually (no always), police to not return 17 year olds back home unless the parent firmly pushes for it. Please note that we are not legal experts. There are legal services and advisement in MI. You can always call 211 on a phone or go to 211.org to find them. Or you can contact us via chat and we can provide you with that information.

It’s also an option for your boyfriend’s parents (if applicable) to communicate with your parents. That may or may not help the situation. If you ever need someone to talk to you can text 741741 to the Crisis Text Line. As mentioned you can also contact us for more detailed help if you need it at anytime. We are available 24/7 at 1-800-runaway or through a live chat on our website www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X