No announcement yet.

Moving out at 17 in Michigan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant to say we have no issues supporting him finically, as long as he is out of our home. The police here will not return a 17 year old runaway. Are we legally responsible for anything besides providing for him? This whole area is a bit grey in MI. Do you think my best bet is to consult a lawyer?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS. Runaway protocols and laws regarding minors can be challenging to navigate, but it sounds like you are trying to make the best decisions for your family.

Running away is when a minor leaves home without permission. It is not illegal, but it is a status offense. The parent has the option to report them as a runaway to the police in order to have police help in returning the young person home. Generally speaking, Michigan police departments do not consider 17 year old individuals who choose to leave home a runaway. This means that if he chooses to leave and you attempt to report him as a runaway, the police will not pursue it.

Because your son is still a minor, you are still legally responsible for him and have an obligation to provide for him until he turns 18. At any age, a parent or legal guardian can arrange an alternate living arrangement. This is when a parent gives permission for their child to live somewhere else that is safe and where they are still being supported.

Consulting with a lawyer can certainly be helpful to double check that you are not putting yourself at ant risk in this situation. You can also call the non-emergency number for the local police department to ask questions about their protocols and policies regarding this type of situation.

We are available 24/7 if you have additional questions or if you would like to talk more about this situation. Do not hesitate to reach out by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our livechat at 1800runaway.org.

We wish you the best,
      NRS

I’m 16 and I’ll be 17 in june. I’m in an abusive home and I wanna leave when I’m 17 but I can’t get an emancipation because my mom would beat me and I would have no way there I tried to get there before and my mom locked me in my room and didn’t let me leave anywhere we had CPS at my house but my mom threatened if I said anything she would hurt my brother and I would regret everything I ever said so I got scared and I lied. Please I need help!!! Can I leave my home at 17 years old without there being consequences?!

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Abuse of any kind does get overwhelming and it can be tough to cope with on your own. It sounds like your mom is causing a lot of stress and making home unsafe. This is not your fault.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. However, some police departments are more lenient with 17 year olds and might not take a runaway report at all. If this is the case then you can leave and the police will not force you back. You can call the police department's non-emergency number to ask anonymously about their protocol.

You do have the right to make another report to CPS. This can certainly be scary, and it is understandable why you felt it was safer to not tell the full truth the last time. You do not have to go through this alone. Child Help is an organization that advocates for young people in abusive and unhealthy situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to childhelphotline.org to talk more about your options regarding CPS and how to keep yourself safe in the process. They an also be another resource to add to your support system while you navigate this challenging time.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone 1-800-786-2929 or live chat at 1800runaway.org if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options.

We wish you the best,
      NRS

I left home at the age of 17 in Michigan. No charges were pressed on anyone. hope this helps

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. We are very glad that things worked out for you because believe that youth are experts in their own situation and know how their parents/guardians may act if they were to leave home. It is different for everyone, including the situation a youth runs to.

We are here to help youth to be safe and off the streets, and we work hard to help them discover their own options and to discuss their situation.

The very best way for us to help is if we can talk together. We can do that if youth either call us at our hotline at 1800-786-2929 (1800-RUNAWAY) or via live chat through www.1800runaway.org

NRS

Can I leave home at 17 without permission. Will I get in legal trouble

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

Hi I have a girlfriend thats not happy at home and wants to run away but has no where to go. Am I able to have her stay at one of my family members or something so shes not with a stranger? Her parents won't let her move out with any family members but she is tired of not being noticed and stuff in her household and wants out but doesnt know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It seems like your girlfriend is going through a lot right now and you are looking for ways to support her and help her through this tough time. It seems like a frustrating situation for both of you, and she deserves to feel supported where she lives.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

My 17 year old granddaughter wants to move out from her mom and back to our house. Her mom just was arrested for dwi and Cocain possession and lost her drivers license and has forced my granddaughter to quit her job so she can take her to work everyday. Other abuses occurring in the home as well, she’s being forced to do all the laundry and other household chores. Also being talked to with abusive language by her mom and her moms boyfriend. She is being threatened by taking her phone and tv privliges away if she don’t comply. My wife and I have been buying her school clothes and paying her school lunches since grade school. She wants out of there and so do we.

Comment

Hello,
      Thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. It sounds like things at home with her mother have become dangerous and toxic. It’s not okay that she had to quit her job to drive her mother around after her mom got a DWI. It’s also not okay that she is verbally abused. If you have guardianship or legal custody, your granddaughter can return to your home without any legal conseuqences. However, if mom has guardianship, it might be a good idea to look into getting a lawyer to legally protect yourself. We are not lawyers, but it’s not against the law for your granddaughter to run away from home. In most places it’s considered a ‘status offense’. However, anyone she would be caught staying with could possibly be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’ if her mom decided to press charges. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we cannot tell you what you should or should not do. We can however help you come up with options and provide referrals if necessary. Please give us a call to help discuss your options.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

hi, i am getting verbally and emotionally abused at home and i was wondering if i could leave when i turn 17. i cant call the local police department because my mom would hear but can you call for me and see

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It is awful that you are being treated abusively at home and it makes sense for you to want to leave a situation like that. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that, in Michigan, you can leave home at the age of 17 and the police will not force you to return back to your parents. However, that police could be different if you were in another state. If you want to share a little more information about what is going on, we would be happy to help you sort out what your options are and what the consequences could be. Please don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or if that is not possible, chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
          NRS

I'm 17 and I'm getting tired of losing friends and I just want to live in one state. I currently live in Michigan and would like to know... If I run away and leave Michigan can they do and or charge me or the other person with anything.

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. While we are not legal experts we can speak generally on this. From what we know, Michigan law allows for a 17 year old to choose to leave home as long as they have a safe place to stay. This means that if you decide to leave you would most likely not be considered a runaway and police would not intervene to force you back home or pursue harboring charges against whoever you stay with. It would be smart to double check this by calling the non-emergency line for the local police department to ask an officer.

We hope this information helps. If you have any more questions or would like to talk more about your situation please do not hesitate to contact us directly by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Good luck and stay safe!
          NRS

I turn 17 in 2 days I’ve been a run away for over 4 years now I’m old enough can I get my birth certificate and social security card from my parents if I chose not to live with them now

Comment

I'm 17 and a half and I've been moved out for about 2 months now with consent of my parents but they want me to move back home, can the police do anything if I do not move back?

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for reaching out to us. We aren't legal experts but we can try to answer your question as directly as we can: until you are 18 you are considered a minor and under your parent's supervision. Even if they previously gave you consent to leave home, if they want you to return home before you are 18 and you decide not to, they could file a runaway report. Of course, we have no way of knowing how the local police will respond to such a situation. They may take it seriously, or they may not. You could call the local police non-emergency number and ask them if you want a more definitive answer.

We hope this information helps. Feel free to call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via the chat feature on our website: www.1800runaway.org. We are confidential and here 24/7 and want to help in whatever way we can.

All the best,
            NRS
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X