No announcement yet.

I'm 15 and want to live with my boyfriend

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I’m 15 and I live with my mom I want to get emancipated or something since my momgot a new boyfriend that they only been date for a week and they want to leave to Texas at the end of the month and then came back for me but I don’t like her boyfriend and I don’t want to be with her anymore since she always dose this and then he here she don’t care and don’t cook for me so i want to move with my boyfriend who is 16 and his mom said I can move with them but my mom said no because I have to watch my little sister who is 8


    • ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe and stay strong,

  • #17
    Im 15 and wanted to live or stay with my boyfriend for a bit. Because I just can't be at home anymore, whatever I do or say, my dad yells at me what should I do


    • ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. This is something to consider if you stay with your boyfriend and he or his parents are over 18. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,

  • #18
    This isn't something urgent but more like a rant. I’m 15 and so is my boyfriend. I recently moved to south California and my boyfriend lives by the bay in north California (which is where I moved from). When I figured this out my whole world shattered and I emotionally don't feel the same but I hadn't noticed until I moved here 3 months ago. Running away isn’t ideal in my situation bc I’m 400 miles away from home and I can’t drive and have no way of transportation. me and my boyfriend have talked about this before and if I were ever kicked out of my home, him and his mom would definitely come down to SoCal to pick me up and live with them (or my grandparents could do that too if that’s even possible). Sometimes my parents try to dig out the answers from me why I don’t like talking to them and never sharing my feelings and share my world with theirs and don’t participate in their normal conversations and keep it all to myself. I’ve tried to do this before but the moment I stop to think about my next move, they tell me how much they dislike my ideas and find them disrespectful only because they don’t like the ideas themselves and they don’t try to see things from my prospective. And when we get into lectures and arguments they use their opinion about my feelings and mistakes and use them against me as if they're terrible crimes. This behavior from them has built up for years and its teaching me all the wrong things and giving me bad ideas. I’ve been shut for so long I burst once or twice a year and the punishments lasts a couple of months. Its slowly eating me up inside and that’s why I’d like to live back home where my most supportive people live at and make me feel the happiest I’ve ever been. recently with covid and since we've moved, I stay on my phone often so I can talk to my boyfriend, my friends, and my family (and also my biological dad I recently just met after 10 years). But since online school has started I haven’t been in contact with my friends or family for a couple of weeks bc my phone is easily seen as a distraction and nothing important. I miss them a lot and I’m beginning to think that my parents are at least slightly manipulative and verbally abusive. but a part of me feels like this is completely fine and I’m just **********ing and I have nothing to be sad about I’m confused and I just want to go back home where I’m happy to live as a human being and the vibe here is just completely depressing
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-02-2020, 04:12 AM.


    • ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

      We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Often moving transitions can feel awkward so we understand that it has not been easy for him or you.
      The situation must be frustrating for you both. We’re glad you reached out. Good job.

      It is times like these that it might be nice to have the comfort of a listening ear.
      Being able to now talk with your friends and father sounds like something you are excited about. Having supportive people around you can be emotionally motivating.
      Especially at this difficult time in your life. Your feelings are important and you deserve to be listened to by your parent’s. We understand that you have become frustrated by actions demonstrated by them in the past. Sometimes in situations where communication has become tough counseling is an option considered.
      Having a space to talk or vent might be helpful with finding solutions that may resolve differences. You were very brave in reaching out to NRS.

      We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you during this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, we would be glad to listen and explore some options with you. Please call or chat soon.

      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

      Take care,

  • #19
    Hi. so im 16 turning 17 this year and my girlfriend is 14, and she wants to come live with me cause she and her parents are getting alone very well anything i could do?.


    • ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you and your girlfriend are dealing with a difficult situation.
      We are not legal experts but if she were to live with you without her parents’ permission, she could be considered as a runaway. What that means is if the police were to find her they most likely would bring her back home. It seems like you want to help and support her which is great. One option to consider is letting her know you are there for her, sometimes just having someone to lean on for support can mean a world of difference. If she is feeling depressed or needs to talk to someone she can call us or a good resource is called NAMI which is the national alliance for mental illnesses. They can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI.
      We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Please reach out to us if you or her have any more questions or would like to explore more options. Best of luck!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove