Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 15 in new york and i ran away but i dont know where to go

im maddy and i ran away from my fathers home due to his constant bullying and pressure i have a court case and recently began living with my father he continuosly drinks and gets stupid with me i can no longer live with my mother and i need somewhere to stay the night

Re: Im 15 in new york and i ran away but i dont know where to go

Hi there –
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you have a really tough situation going on. It shows a lot that you reached out to us and that is something to be proud of.
    You talked about how your father behaves towards you and that sounds really unfair. Having to deal with all the constant bullying and the physical abuse. It must be getting very overwhelming to the point where you want to leave home. No one deserves to be treated that way. Just know that you always have the right to report any abuse (physical, mental, sexual, harassment, and neglect) to your local police department or child protective service in your state. If you don’t feel comfortable with that option or if you have a few questions about the process, you can always call us and we can help you through that.
    Have you tried talking about what you have been feeling lately with anyone else (i.e close friends, other family members [aunts, uncle, and cousin], school counselor, etc.)? It might be helpful to have someone that you really trust to know what is going on with your feelings, they can always provide you with direct support in person if you needed it.
    We certainly don’t want you to be unsafe on the streets so one resource that may be helpful would be to visit The National Safeplace website (www.nationalsafeplace.org). This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need. You can look up your city and state to see if there is any safe places near you listed. They are usually places like designated school, fire stations, libraries, etc. So that is always an option if you feel like go to talk to someone in person and what has been going on. If a youth shelter isn’t really what you had in mean, what would your overall plan be (i.e long term housing [are you able to stay there for a long time], transportation, financial stability, access to food/clothes, school, etc.)? Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing it might be a good idea so that you can think about what is reasonably possible for you to do and want isn’t.
    If you are in a really tough spot it could be worthwhile to contact your local police department’s non-emergency line for some help. If you call us or live chat with us and provide your city and state we can also find more definite shelters for you.
    It sounds like you have a tough situation going on but it shows a lot that you are trying to make things better and reaching out for help. If you ever want to talk please feel free to reach out to us.
    Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

i am 15 years old living in New York and have been considering running away for a while. i have a safe place to go and i won't be in any harm by i need to know if the person im staying will can get in trouble please help

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out for help.

It sounds like you are going through a hard time that is making you think about leaving home. Leaving home can be hard and it can be helpful to think about how long you can stay with your friend and how you might pay for other expenses and if things don't work out what you might do. We are not legal experts but in most cases if you do leave home and your parents are to file a runaway report, the police may bring you back home and whoever you stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway.

This can be a lot to think about and we are happy to talk to you at 24 hour confidential hotline. If you like you can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources.

Best of luck,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X