No announcement yet.

17 year old wondering what to do

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 year old wondering what to do

    I'm 17 turning 18 in september my brother sells marijuana out of the house my parents know and dont care because he give my mother some my mother has been diagnosed with depression and bipolar disorder shes has been hospitalized for mental "breakdowns" (screaming and trying to throw pictures at everybody in the house) She has a tendency to turn everybody in the house against me currently im living with my aunt to avoid them (they like to blame me and call the cops) ive been hospitalized once because i dont agree with what they want could i emancipate myself? ps. for my entire highschool career theyve failed to enroll me in school and blame me what could i do?

  • #2
    hanks so much for reaching out to us at NRS. Living with a parent with mental illness can be scary even under the best of circumstances, and you have also been dealing with abuse and neglect for so long, plus your brother’s illegal activities. No one deserves to be treated that way.
    We’re not legal experts, but in most states, emancipation is usually only granted if a youth can show he/she is completely financially independent (living on their own and supporting themselves) and attending school. Do you have your parents’ permission to stay with your aunt, and would she be willing to let you stay with her until you turn 18? If so, that could be an option to consider.
    Another option you have is to report your parents’ abuse and neglect at any time. You can do this by calling the police, telling a teacher or counselor at school, or calling your area’s abuse reporting hotline. Another good resource is Child Help, a 24/7 confidential hotline at 1-800-422-4453. They can answer your questions about reporting and connect you with the right resources in your area.
    It shows a lot of strength and courage that you found your way to a safe place and are contacting us for help. We are here for you any time at 1-800-786-2929.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp