Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my friends parents get in trouble if I run away to her house?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi im 15 im currently staying with my aunt , for right now because my mom boyfriend said i took his shoes which i didnt so when i was finna walk to the stairs he dragged me down and started beating on me i have bruises on my neck and my chest and arms , i was at my gf house yesterday since i ranaway yesterday so csb got involed and the police . Then they brought me to my aunts , Mind you my mother saw him doing this and she didnt help me or nothing , Today she told me that if i go to school tommrow and if im talking to my gf im gonna get in trouble and she said that im getting pulled out of my current school this because shes mad that he has a warrant for his arrest for touching me so tommrow im gonna tell the counselors and repeat everything because i dont feel safe anymore

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out; we are glad that you did. You have been through such a scary situation and we are sorry to hear that your mom didn't help you and now blames you for the crime committed against you by her boyfriend beating you on the stairs.
      We are very glad that you were placed with your aunt, and because of this, your mom won't be able to have you removed from school. You are right to talk to school staff about this and we hope you will give them your aunt's contact information since she will have the paperwork showing you were legally placed with her.
      You did not deserve to be treated this way either by the boyfriend or your mom. We are here to support the complex feelings you may be experiencing as well as to listen and help you through this stressful time. We are glad that your girlfriend is there for you too.

You are welcome to chat us through this website, or call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) We are here for you 24/7 to believe you and support you. We truly hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely, NRS

Hi I'm 13 I've been considering running away for a really long time now because I feel emotionally abused and not accepted, I'm transgender and bisexual but I haven't come out to my parents yet because I don't feel I can I've only come out to my school where I feel partially accepted they struggle with pronouns, I try to be understanding but it's really upsetting and annoying I'm also an only child I've always wanted a sister and when I was 5 or so I asked my parents for a sibling and they said "life is hard enough with you as it is" my parents say they love me and occasionally do nice things but I feel like they don't mean it or their just doing it so I don't realize what their doing. I tried to tell them that I have depression but they didn't take me seriously as they usually don't and so I decided to cut myself to show how I feel and they just compared me to my 17 year old cousin like they always do, Christmas and my birthday have been my least favourite days of the year for 2 years straight just last Christmas they compared me to my cousin because I was wearing a black jacket when I've never seen my cousin wearing a black jacket before. Now they are threatening to take me out of school because I get annoyed with them gaslighting me. I've always been very lonely because like I mentioned earlier im an only child and every friendship I've ever had has been ruined by my parents so now all my friends are secret from them, they also don't respect my privacy they go through my entire phone all the time I had to write this in incognito mode on Google. School is the last piece of happiness i have.

I originally came here to ask, if I ran away to my friends house could my friends parents get in trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes a lot courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like things at home are not so great right now and that things have been super difficult. You do not deserve to be treated that way and deserve to be respected.

Regarding running away, since you are still under the age of 18, your parents can still technically file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal but it is a status offense (something you cannot do because of your age). If your parents were to file a runaway report, then you could be found by the police and returned home. Also, there are laws about harboring runaways, so while this is rarer, you should know that it is possible for your friend’s parents to get in trouble if your parents files a runaway report. You can, however, with the permission of your parents, stay at your friend’s house.

It can be super helpful to have strong support systems. How would you feel about talking to a friend, a family member, or teacher/school counselor about what is going on? Sometimes it can be really helpful to have someone that will listen to what is going on and someone that can offer suggestions/advice. Your well-being is also super important and having coping mechanisms to take care of yourself can be super beneficial. You can listen to music, journal about what is going on, exercise, take a walk, draw, or just do an activity that makes you feel good.

We are here to support you 24/7. If you would like to talk in more detail, please contact NRS either by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chatting online through 1800runaway.org. Another great resource is The Trevor Project www.thetrevorproject.org which helps LGBTQ+ youth navigate difficult times.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

Hi I am 13 years old and my mother has been abusing me for a while. I tried to go to my dads house but he got token away and I have nowhere to go.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like you are going through a very tough time and we are glad you reached out to us. It is very brave of you to take steps to make your situation better and we will do our best to help you find resources that may be helpful to you.

Your current living situation sounds very challenging. It is your mother’s responsibility to provide you with a safe and supportive environment. If you are in danger, you can always call 911.

Do you have other friends or family or a teacher or counselor at school you are comfortable talking to that you are comfortable talking to about your situation? They may have advice or ideas that may be helpful to you.

A potential resource is the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at www.childhelp.org or 1-800-4-A-CHILD (422-4453). Childhelp is a 24-hour hotline with volunteers who can talk to you about your situation and provide resources that may be helpful to you.

You could also consider contacting your local Division of Family Services or Child Protective Services. If you are uncomfortable making the call, you can call us and one of our volunteers can make the call with or for you.

At NRS our main goal is to see that you are safe and off the street. If you leave home have you considered where you would go? How would you support yourself?

We’re not legal experts, but we can provide some basic information that may be helpful to you. Running away is not illegal. In most states, the age of majority (the age at which you can legally leave home) is 18. Since you are under 13, if you run away, your mother can file a runaway report. If you are picked up by the police they will likely take you back home.

You should know that if you are staying with someone and you are picked up there, they could be charged with harboring a runaway.

The way the police handle runaway and harboring cases varies from place to place. If you call the non-emergency number of your local police department they may be able to tell you how they handle runaway and harboring cases. If you are uncomfortable making the call, you can call us and one of our volunteers can make the call with or for you.

You can also always contact us via chat at www.1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We have volunteers available 24/7 to talk and to help you find resources that may be helpful to you.

We wish you the best!

I’m 17 working and wanna run away because i’m tired of how my parent mentally abuse me, i truly love and respect them but i can’t i really want to run away to my friends house and they are completely okay i just wouldn’t want them to get into trouble if i were found or caught, i’ve been thinking of suicide because of them but that’s not even the point, i just want to know if they would get into trouble if i were to run away and my parents report me missing?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are sorry to hear about the mental abuse you have been experiencing at home. Please know you do not deserve that and your mental health and well-being are extremely important. You deserve to feel uplifted and safe at all times. It sounds like you have the opportunity to stay with a friend and it sounds like you are feeling like this will be better for your mental health, which is understandable. Please know that we are not legal experts, but it is to our general understanding that there is always risks for any individual under the age of 18 when running away. If your parents report you missing and/or as a runaway and you are found, there is a possible chance you may be brought back home and it is to our understanding that it would be up to your parents to decide whether or not to press charges against the person you are staying with (i.e; your friend's parents). Situations may vary and again, please know this is just our general understanding and we do not know what to expect for an exact outcome of the situation.

We see that you have been thinking about suicide and are curious if you are having active thoughts of killing yourself. We encourage you to please call 911 immediately if you find yourself in or at risk of imminent danger from others or yourself. You may also now dial 988 for the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. They also have a website, similar to us, that offers online chat and support resources as well. The link to their website is here: https://988lifeline.org/?utm_source=...ampaign=onebox

We welcome you to reach out to us through our online chat portal, found on our website at www.1800runaway.org or give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We would be happy to provide direct support for you and talk further about the situation with you. In the meantime, please stay safe and remember that your life is important and we need you here. Nobody in this world deserves the best of you more than you deserve the best of you and remember that healing is not linear. Even on the difficult days, it is all a part of the healing process. We are here for you and you are never alone.

Wishing you peace, safety, and outstanding health.

Sincerely,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X