Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my friends parents get in trouble if I run away to her house?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my friends parents get in trouble if I run away to her house?

Hi, I'm 15 my mother is emotionally abusing me on a daily basis. I have a plan but I don't want my friends parents to get in trouble. Would they?

Re: Will my friends parents get in trouble if I run away to her house?

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are here to help you and provide you support during this time.

It sounds like you are really going through a lot at home right now with your mother. We are sorry to hear that you are being emotionally abused by her. It is not okay that this is happening to you. One option that is available to you is to file an abuse report. One resource that you might consider reaching out to is Child Help USA (1-800-422-4453). Child help can provide you with more information about abuse reporting and that process as well as, link you to your local CPS. If this is something that you are not comfortable with doing, we completely understand. If you are uncomfortable with calling but still want to make the report you can always give us a call and we can support you on a call with the local Child protective services (CPS) while you make the report, or we can gather all the information and make the report on your behalf.

We are sorry that you are dealing with this. You asked if you friend’s parents can get into trouble. We are not legal experts here but at 15, you are still considered a minor. If you runaway your parents can file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are found by the police there is a chance that you can be taken back home. Also if you are found staying with someone there is a chance that they could be charged with harboring a runaway.

We are really glad that you reached out to us here. We want to learn more about you and your situation to see how we can best help you and help you develop a plan that is fit for you. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I wanna run away to my friend's house because now I'm 13 and my parents emotionally abuse me but I also don't always comply with the rules so. I just need a break and wanna go to my friends house but my parents won't know so technically a runaway but if my parents or police don't find me no one gets in trouble and when I'm done with my break ill say I just went to the park would that be ok because as of now I'm cutting my self because of depression and they took anything social or contact so I cant call I can only talk on my school computer which is what I'm using right now.

Comment

• ccsmod4
        ccsmod4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,
        Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You do not deserve to be abused by your parent’s and it is not your fault that they do this. It sounds like you are thinking about running away for a few days or so to a friend’s house to get a break from everything. Your plan is to return but not say where you really were. Running away is a big step and it’s important for your safety that by leaving you are not leaving one bad situation while creating another one.
        You raise some concern because you acknowledged that you sometimes cut yourself out of depression. Sometimes things become so stressful it’s hard to know how to handle the situation. Hurting yourself does not have to be an outlet. It sounds like you have friends who are supportive. Talking might help to relieve any tension you might be feeling.
        Other options might be listening to music or going for a walk, perhaps even writing things down.
        Reaching out like you did today was a good decision. You are very brave for doing so.
        We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        You might consider the referral we’ve listed for coping by following this link: www.twloha.com/

If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
        NRS

I’m 15 turning 16 but my mom been emotionally abusing me and I want to run away to my friends house her mom says it’s okay that I can go over there but I don’t want her mom to get in trouble if my mom calls the cops and I don’t want to be in this house any longer

Comment

Hi there,

You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mom. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or
        www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

In regards to you leaving home, while we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Stay safe!
        NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X