X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for contacting NRS we appreciate that you have reached out to us. We are sorry you are going through such a difficult situation. You do not deserve to be put through that. From what we can tell you are looking to get out of the situation you are in. Just so you are aware legally you can leave at 18 otherwise your parents have the right to file a runaway report and call the Police. They would be on the lookout for you. Anyone that houses you runs the risk of being charged with harboring a minor. It would be a good idea to call the police non emergency number to ask what they would do if you did The options available to you are you could give us a call and we would be happy to report the abuse to CPS alongside you. That way it doesn’t seem so scary. Another thing you can do is to call Child Help which is another organization that specializes in reporting and helping abused youth. Their number is (800) 422-4453 and you can feel free to call them and get the help you need. We know how hard it can be to reach out for help, so again thank you for contacting us! If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chatting with us at 1800runaway.org. We are here to support and help you create a safe plan. We wish you the best of luck!

Guest replied
    im 15 and my family are bipolar when minute they are "acting" like they love me the next they are in my face about how a disappointment. every time my mom get mad she says some harsh things so me and is messes with my mental health causing me to be depressed. is there a ways i can get out of this horrible lifestyle. i just want to feel and be loved and cared for. But i feel like i do not have anyone to talk to or get away. like just last week we get into a fight about someone i was talking to and when they told me to stop talking to them i said "ok and did just that" but that person was the person i talked to about my feelings and basically my safe place ever since we moved to Texas from Wisconsin. But the day after all that happened my mom pulled me out of school just to tell me she dose not want to be my mother no more and continued to call me a bunch of harsh names. And now i am in this house and feel like i am all alone and just want to go somewhere where i can feel loved and wanted or away i can talk to someone that can be there for me through all this.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. . You deserve to live somewhere that makes you feel safe and supported.

If you feel like leaving is the right decision for you, we can connect you with youth shelters in your area. You can also contact the National Safe place for somewhere safe to go. All you have to do is text "safe" and your current location to 44357 for the nearest safe place. From there you can be brought to a youth shelter which generally have caseworkers that can help you come up with a short term and long term plan.

We are here to support you and connect you with resources. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We hope to hear from you soon.
    NRS

Guest replied
    I don’t wanna be here anymore

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like your friend is being harmed about home and you are wanting to know if it is illegal if she stays in your house. That sounds like such an unfair situation, and you seem like a really caring friend working to keep her safe.

We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. Your friend has the right to report the abuse to child protective services. To learn about that option you might reach out to the child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453. If your friend is listed as a runaway and is found by police it is possible that she could be returned home. The legal adult who knowingly houses her could be at risk of having her dad press harboring a runaway charges on them; which is a misdemeanor offense.

We hope that answers your question. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk more about the situation or if you have more questions. We are always here for you.

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    is it illegal to keep my friend who is 15-16 in my house due to her dad hitting her?
    i could really use advice.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hello! Thank you for contacting the national runaway Safeline, we appreciate you reaching out for help.
    To begin with, you stated that you’re very depressed due to always being in trouble, and getting yelled at by your guardians. It sounds like you’re going through a lot right now, and want you to know that you are not alone. If at any moment you are having any suicidal thoughts, or have an urge to hurt yourself, please reach out to the National Suicide Prevention hotline at 1800) 273-8255. They would be able to talk further with you about what is making you feel this way, and may further assist you in an intervention is needed. Exploring other sources like a friend or another family member to discuss your feelings of depression may be therapeutic, and also bring up the fact that you constantly getting yelled at contributes to it.
    In the same way, you want to know what would happen if you were to leave your guardian’s home without their approval. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but if you were to leave your home without their approval, they have the right to file a runaway report with the authorities, and whoever you end up with may face some consequences. We care about your safety, so if you decide to leave on your own, although not encouraged, you can text the word safe and your location to 44357. The national Safe Place will then text you a safe location to guide you on how to stay safe.
    Again, you thank you for contacting the national runaway Safeline, we appreciate you reaching out for help. Feel free to chat with us anytime at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am 16 years old and I am very depressed, my home life is ok but I get accused of everything I am always in trouble and when I ask something I always get yelled at. I want to feel like I am not always in the wrong I want to feel like a normal teenager. I am not adopted but I do legally live with other people and I have been told the courts won't let me get emancipated what will happen if I leave?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello there -

Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully you have taken the opportunity to explore the responses on this thread to see if they can help you. It is our thought by helping you during your crisis, that there are others out there going through the same situation can look at this thread and find the answers that they need as well. Of course if you need additional support you are more than welcome to reach out to us via our online chat or our 24/7 hotline.

As you have probably read from our other replies on this page, is that we aren’t legal experts nor can we tell you want you should or should not do. So from what we know about running away from home before the age of majority, is that a parent always has the right to file a runaway/missing person's report with the local law enforcement. The act of running away isn't considered a crime, it's more of a status offense so something like getting a parking ticket or traffic violation. So it's to our understanding that a parent can't "press charges" against their child for running away. If you are worried about it, you might be able to call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that and be for sure.

Best of luck!

Guest replied
    Can a parent press charges on her child for running away ? In Texas.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Thank you for reaching out. After reading your posting we noticed that it has a lot of similarities as another users post. We have attached a quote from that posting. If you have any follow-up questions we strongly encourage you to give us a phone call. 1-800-786-2929
    Best wishes,
    NRS
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I have a friend close to me that is being physically and emotionally abused at home. He is 16 and lives in Texas. Will be turning 17 in April 2020. Can he legally leave the state if he can go to his ex stepdad’s who raised him? Can someone get in trouble for picking him up and taking him out of state?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Can I leave home at 16 in Texas? It’s not my parents it’s just me. I feel it’s best to leave home as soon as possible

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,

Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a tough time right now, you do not deserve to be called bad words. This seems like it could be emotional abuse, you can report this by calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453.
    You mentioned wanting to leave and go to your aunt house, we are not legal experts but we do have some information. Because you are a minor if you were to leave home your legal guardian has the right to file a runaway report. The police would most likely bring you back home again,
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X