No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 16 in Texas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I leave home at 16 in Texas? It’s not my parents it’s just me. I feel it’s best to leave home as soon as possible

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

I have a friend close to me that is being physically and emotionally abused at home. He is 16 and lives in Texas. Will be turning 17 in April 2020. Can he legally leave the state if he can go to his ex stepdad’s who raised him? Can someone get in trouble for picking him up and taking him out of state?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out. After reading your posting we noticed that it has a lot of similarities as another users post. We have attached a quote from that posting. If you have any follow-up questions we strongly encourage you to give us a phone call. 1-800-786-2929
      Best wishes,
      NRS
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Can a parent press charges on her child for running away ? In Texas.

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there -

Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully you have taken the opportunity to explore the responses on this thread to see if they can help you. It is our thought by helping you during your crisis, that there are others out there going through the same situation can look at this thread and find the answers that they need as well. Of course if you need additional support you are more than welcome to reach out to us via our online chat or our 24/7 hotline.

As you have probably read from our other replies on this page, is that we aren’t legal experts nor can we tell you want you should or should not do. So from what we know about running away from home before the age of majority, is that a parent always has the right to file a runaway/missing person's report with the local law enforcement. The act of running away isn't considered a crime, it's more of a status offense so something like getting a parking ticket or traffic violation. So it's to our understanding that a parent can't "press charges" against their child for running away. If you are worried about it, you might be able to call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that and be for sure.

Best of luck!

I am 16 years old and I am very depressed, my home life is ok but I get accused of everything I am always in trouble and when I ask something I always get yelled at. I want to feel like I am not always in the wrong I want to feel like a normal teenager. I am not adopted but I do legally live with other people and I have been told the courts won't let me get emancipated what will happen if I leave?

Comment

Hello! Thank you for contacting the national runaway Safeline, we appreciate you reaching out for help.
      To begin with, you stated that you’re very depressed due to always being in trouble, and getting yelled at by your guardians. It sounds like you’re going through a lot right now, and want you to know that you are not alone. If at any moment you are having any suicidal thoughts, or have an urge to hurt yourself, please reach out to the National Suicide Prevention hotline at 1800) 273-8255. They would be able to talk further with you about what is making you feel this way, and may further assist you in an intervention is needed. Exploring other sources like a friend or another family member to discuss your feelings of depression may be therapeutic, and also bring up the fact that you constantly getting yelled at contributes to it.
      In the same way, you want to know what would happen if you were to leave your guardian’s home without their approval. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but if you were to leave your home without their approval, they have the right to file a runaway report with the authorities, and whoever you end up with may face some consequences. We care about your safety, so if you decide to leave on your own, although not encouraged, you can text the word safe and your location to 44357. The national Safe Place will then text you a safe location to guide you on how to stay safe.
      Again, you thank you for contacting the national runaway Safeline, we appreciate you reaching out for help. Feel free to chat with us anytime at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X