No announcement yet.

Moving out at 17 with parent consent

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Im turning 17 in a few days and have been told to move out my my mother since I was in middle school. I really do want to move out and I have a good and trusted friend in New York that is letting me stay with him until I can get a job. I live in New Hampshire currently with my mother and brother. I haven't seen my father in 7 years so he's not in my life and has no custody of me. Can I leave to another state with my mother's consent?


    • ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out; we are glad that you did. You don't deserve to have been told to move out since you were in middle school. It must have felt very scary for you as a child.
      Now that you are so close to 18, it's understandable to want to leave now. If you have your mother's consent, you can go, because she would have to be the one to file a runaway report. If she is not going to do that, no one will know anything except that you are a person on a train.
      Even if she did change her mind, you will be in another state and the moment you turn 18, the runaway report expires. We hope this helps and we for sure would like to talk more with you about your plans and support you in what you've been through.
      You can reach out via live chat through this website, or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) We are here for you 24/7
      You have been very brave, always.

  • #47
    My son is 17 and was placed out of the home by cps.. now it is not court ordered nor did I sign over any rights. Can I give my son permission to live on his own?


    • ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thanks for reaching out! Although you have not signed rights over or have not had parental rights removed by the state, the court may have granted temporary custody to the state. Making your youth a ward of the state, and the state would be their legal guardian until stated otherwise. In that case, you as the parent would not be able to give permission for the youth to move out of their placement. Every case can vary though; it may be best to reach out to your caseworker or someone with the agency that holds your case. If needed, we can help find a legal aid who can further help answering legal questions in your state.
      We hope this helps. Please reach out if we can offer any further support.

      Be safe,

  • #48
    My boyfriend who lives in Connecticut wants to move out and move in with my family in Nebraska once he finishes high school at the end of May (he won’t be 18 until four months later.) His father thinks that that would be good for him and wants him to get out of the house away from his very manipulative and controlling mother, but she doesn’t want him to move out until he is 18. Would he need to have both parents’ consent to move in with my family out of state, or would just his father’s consent be enough?


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thanks so much for reaching out to NRS. We’re sorry to hear that your boyfriend is having such a rough time at home with his mother. It must be hard for you to see him go through this while being so far away. We can provide you with some information, but just be clear- we are not legal experts.

      That said, if both of your boyfriend’s parents are his legal guardians and your boyfriend has the permission of his father to move in with you, there likely won’t be any major legal repercussions for you or your family in Nebraska, especially since your boyfriend is so close to being 18. However, it is worth mentioning that different states have different laws for when someone is considered a legal adult, ie. in Nebraska someone is considered a minor until they are 19 years old, whereas in Connecticut you are a minor until you are 18 years old. Also, things can get a little more tricky when crossing state lines.

      If your boyfriend’s parents are legally separated or divorced and share joint custody, his mother could fill out a runaway report even if your boyfriend has his father’s permission. If a runaway report is filed and officers located your boyfriend, they could bring him back home. In that scenario there’s also a possibility that your family (any adults or guardians you and your boyfriend would be living with in Nebraska) could face charges for harboring a runaway, again this all becomes a bit trickier when crossing state lines. We know this is a lot of information at once, but it might be helpful to reach out to NRS via phone (1-800-Runaway) or live chat ( in order to give us a little more information about the situation so we can give you the most appropriate information and resources to help.

      Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us, we’re here for you 24/7 via phone or live chat on our website. Good luck!

  • #49
    Hi! It’s the same person who wrote previously about my boyfriend wanting to move out of his home in Connecticut and in with my family in Nebraska, with his father’s permission but not his mother’s! His parents are together but they never got married. Would that affect whether or not he needs the consent of both parents? His father is also planning on leaving because my boyfriend’s mother is bipolar and unmedicated, domestically abusive towards my boyfriend’s father, controlling, manipulative, etc, but he isn’t financially stable enough yet to move to Nebraska. He’s planning to in over a year, but my boyfriend will be 18 by then. My boyfriend’s father has said that he thinks my boyfriend needs to get out of the house and away from his mother as soon as possible, and thinks that him waiting until he’s 18 is a last resort. Knowing all of that, would he need both parents’ consent to move out before he’s 18? We’re really just trying to get a good idea on how soon we can get him out, if at all, before he turns 18 without possibly getting my parents in trouble for letting him stay with us.


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to us again. It seems like your boyfriend is in a stressful situation and you are trying to help him out.
      First of all, you may want to find out if his father is named on his birth certificate. Even though he has assumed guardianship until now, if he’s not named, it may give his mom a stronger case for pursuing him. But in any case, if he has one parent’s permission, it is less likely that your parents would be punished for harboring a runaway.
      Another thing he may consider is if he feels his mother is abusive, he may want to file a report with CPS (Child Protective Services). If they needed to, they would have him removed from the home, but likely not sent to you and your parents.
      We are here to support you as you figure out what is best for your situation. Please feel free to call us or chat with us online at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929)/ if you would like to talk in more detail. Good luck!

  • #50
    My mom passed away and my aunt got guardian ship of me. Well she told me once I got off probation I could move out but now she’s saying I can’t. She’s mentally and emotionally abusive and forced me to have an abortion and is trying to put me on birth control and has threatened to beat my ass multiple times. I want to move back to my home town with my best friend. I’m 17.


    • ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment

      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We appreciate you reaching out and sharing what has been going on. First, we are sorry for the loss of your mom. It sounds like you have been through a lot and want you to know we are here for you.

      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to Child Protective Services. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed.

      It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not legal experts, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. Since you are 17, your aunt/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. If you stay with your best friend, then they might be at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24-hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

      National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      Tell us what you think about your experience!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove