No announcement yet.

Moving out at 17 with parent consent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, my name is Andison and I'm 17 years old. My brother and I don't get along that much probably because of all the problems that my mom, stepmom, and dad have caused in our entire lives. Right now I have been living with my dad and my stepmom for almost 3 years and they're always telling us that they are going to send us back were a used to live with my mom, plus they don't care about us at all and they always try to search for problems when there aren't any. And last day I fought with my brother and soonest that we got home my dad said that "soonest that u guys are done with school you all going back to Puerto Rico" were I used to live. And I'm thinking that if he wants to obligate me to move from Virginia, IL (where I live), that is better me leaving the house and have my own life, and to live for a time with my girlfriend on her parent's house. I really don't know what else to do with all these pain that I feel and I want to search for a way to live somewhere away from them.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

We really want to thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have quite a bit going on and that you’re in a pretty rough spot right now. No one deserves to be going through all the pain you feel, or to feel unwanted in your own home. Since you’re not 18 yet (and in Illinois, 17 is still a minor), it would be considered a “status offense” to run away from home. Here at NRS, we aren’t legal experts, but you should keep in mind that if your dad decides to, it is possible he could press charges against your girlfriend’s parents for “harboring a minor.” However, if you are moving out with his permission or if he does not file a runaway report, then this is something you don’t need to worry about. You may want to consider if you move out, how you will support yourself financially. Do you have a part-time job? Have you talked to your girlfriend and her parents about staying with them and for how long?

Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and it’s great to see that you’re really considering and thinking about all your options. If you would like to talk more about what’s going on at home or brainstorm more options you might have, feel free to call or chat with us at any time.

We’re here to listen, and here to help – best of luck!

i am 17 and wanting to move out on my own, my parents have joint custody but my mum has residency over me. my mom is okay with me moving out on my own but my dad refuses. can i still move out with just my mothers consent? i’m from maine looking to move out of state.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, and thanks for reaching out to NRS. This is a great question to ask. We are not legal experts, but from what we know this is how runaway laws work in most cases: If you leave without permission from a guardian, they can report you as a run away. Running away is not illegal, but if your parent knows where you are then you can be returned home by police.

Your situation is definitely more unique since your mom is giving you permission, but your dad is not. Depending on your parent's custody agreement, your mom might have the final say on where you are living until you reach 18, but we cannot say for sure. Because you are so close to 18 and your mom is okay with you moving, it is unlikely police would interfere to the point of having you returned home. But your dad may be able to take your mom to court. This sounds like it would be more of a legal issue and the answers could greatly vary on your areas specific runaway laws and the custody agreement. If you call or chat with us, we can provide you with legal aide resources so that you can speak with a legal expert.

Do not hesitate to reach out again (1-800-786-2929 ; 1800runaway.org) if you would like to talk more about your situation or you need help locating resources in your area.

Be safe,
      NRS

Hi Im 16 and I was wondering in Indiana, if I have my moms consent and a job would I be allowed to move in with my boyfriend legally without being emancipated?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X