No announcement yet.

Runaway from Hawaii to California?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Runaway from Hawaii to California?

    Im 16 years old and live in Hawaii, but my boyfriend is planning on moving to California in a few months. He wants me to accompany him in leaving because he knows how horribly im treated with my family. I have PTSD and MDD from my family issues and it seems as if no matter what i do, i cant seem to escape it unless with him. No matter if i excel in school or have a stable job i am still constantly abused, neglected, and put down, although i love my family dearly, i cannot bear to live with this unwanted-never-good-enough feeling. I never thought of running away until now, since my fathers new girlfriend has considerably made things in my house hold and social life that much more strenuous and painful. Anxiety along with sleeping and eating problems are habits that i have recently come into following the abuse from my family. This is a last resort and i just want to know how things would be if i made this choice. My boyfriend treats me wonderfully and understands that i am not healthy nor safe living in my own home, i care about him very much and was concerned with what may happen if i do go with him. Thank you

  • #2
    RE: Runaway from Hawaii to California?

    Hello There,

    Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are here to provide you support and to help you during this time in the best possible way.

    It sounds like you are going through a lot right now at home with your parents. You do not deserve to be treated like this or abused in any way. We are sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. One resource that is available to you is Child Help USA (1-800-422-4453). This hotline can talk with you more about the process of reporting and can also connect you to your local Child protective services (CPS). If you are not comfortable with making the report on your own we can support you here in that process. You can give us a call and we can reach out to your local CPS and be on the line while you make the report or we can make the report on your behalf.

    We are sorry to hear that you are going through this. It seems like you are really dealing with a lot. You mentioned that you were thinking about running away, here are a few things to consider:
    · Do I have a place to stay?
    · What about school? Would I continue to get an education?
    · Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days?
    · What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation?
    · Who can I depend on if I leave home?
    · Do I have a safe, solid plan?

    Also, we are not legal experts here, but we can provide you with some general information. At 16, if you runaway you are still considered a minor. Since you are still considered a minor your mother has a legal right to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are found by the police then there is possibility that you can be taken back home. However the police will not return you back home, if they feel that would be returning you to an unsafe situation.

    You are so strong for reaching out and for dealing with your current home situation. We really would like to talk with your further about your situation and help you develop a plan that is best fit for you. By giving us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we can learn more about you and possibly connect you to resources that can be useful for you. Some of these things may include shelters, counseling services and much more. We are here 24/7 and someone is available to talk with you.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp