Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to move out. I’m 17.

I want to move out so bad. It’s gotten to the point where I do whatever I can to not be in my house. It’s like I live at my friends house. I hate it here. I don’t like my siblings. I don’t have a relationship with my mom or grandma. My mom is cheating on my dad and it’s hard to talk to him and keep the secrets inside. My grandma and mom are mental abusive and all they do is threaten to hurt someone or talk about someone is ungrateful. I barely even had a childhood. With my dad deployed and my grandma always working and my mom out doing who knows what, I had to always raise my siblings since 1st grade. I’ve been left home alone changing diapers since I was 8. My family don’t appreciate what I do, I’m the one who’s always cleaning and taking care of everything. But when my sisters sit around and do absolutely nothing it’s okay. If I’m not doing it nothing gets done. I’m like a maid. They treat me terribly and i hate it here. If I move out I’d live with my friend since his family treats me more like family than my own family does. We graduate in May. What do I do?

Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It doesn’t sound fair that you’re expected to take on the lion’s share of the housekeeping responsibilities. Everyone deserves to live somewhere where they feel comfortable and respected. Leaving home is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

Absolutely no one deserves to be abused in any way. You mentioned that your mom and grandma have threatened to hurt people before. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X