Friend of someone running away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend of someone running away

hello, my close friend is running away from home due to family issue. He has done it before and I dont want him to sleep on the train anymore. My family is willing to take him in but we're afraid of the legal issue. What I'm really saying is, is it illegal if i let my friend whos running away from home stay over?

Re: Friend of someone running away

Hello there,

It seems like you care a lot about your friend and you are doing what you can to look out for him. It’s important that he have a safe place where he can stay.

If he leaves home without permission, his parents/guardians could report him as a runaway and the police would be authorized to return him home. If he are reported as a runaway it’s typically just a status offense; however, sometimes people helping runaways are at risk for charges such as harboring a runaway. This charge is often considered a misdemeanor, but might be something to explore if you or your family are concerned.

We are here to support you and your friend and we are available 24/7 by phone if you want to discuss the situation in more detail. We might also be able to help by looking up youth shelters where your friend can stay as an alternative to staying with your family.

We hope this information is useful.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X