13 can i run away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 can i run away

I'm a thirteen year old and I want to run away I live in California. If I run away could they force me to go back to my adoptive parents? Is it against the law to run away? Please help?

re: 13 can i run away

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it sounds like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like you have been considering leaving but do not have a set plan.

We want to start off by letting you know that we are not legal experts here, meaning that we are only able to speak in general terms. In most states, if you are under 18, you are still considered a minor and your parents would still be able to file a runaway report. Typically if you are found, you would be forced to go back home. The best way to find out about what your father is able to do, I would highly encourage you to reach out to your local police department and ask some general questions. If this is something that might make you nervous, I would encourage you to reach out to us then we would be able to make that call for you.

You ask some great questions, while we are not here to tell you what to do, we are here to explore some options. We have listed some questions below that you may also want to think about. While these questions may be overwhelming, you are able to give us a call or chat with us to talk more about your situation. These are some things you may want to think about:

What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
    What would make me stay at home?
    How will I survive?
    Is running away safe?
    Who can I count on to help me?
    Have I given this enough thought?
    What are my other options?
    If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
    When I return home, what will happen?

If you do find yourself with no place to go, remember that we are here 24/7 and are toll free and would potentially be able to help you with some shelter resources. We wish you the best of luck with whatever it is you decide to do and hope to get your call or chat soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X