12 and needing to get out of here.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 and needing to get out of here.

So i'm 12, i've been thinking of running away for a long time, about a year and a half now. my 2 friends and I all want to run away together. One of my friends that i might be running away with has a physically abusive stepdad and really wants to run away. now, for me, my life is kind of average i guess. the problem is my mom. she's okay for the most part, but she always yells at my dad and I every day for "never getting anything done", you know, blah blah. but about twice a year maybe three times, she'll go all ballistic on me. I remember last time she did it was a few months ago, in august I think. i'm homeschooled, and my normal bedtime is around 12. I was cleaning my room and it was a little past my bedtime, like 12:30 or 1:00, and she came into my room and started screaming at me for not being asleep. I told her to calm down and that my dad had to get up really early for work, but she slapped me and slammed my head against the wall and kept screaming at me. She told me she was going to send me away to a bootcamp and I heard her telling my dad that she wanted to shove her fist through my face. i was literally scared for my life. She kept hitting me and i was going to call the police or my grandma or someone to make her calm down but she took my phone. i actually prayed that night and that's something i hardly ever do. I know this will happen again and i can't deal with it i can't, please help me. Like..how am i going to make money? how will i get a job? i keep thinking about those things. if i leave my home, it might ruin my life. but I can't deal with my mom. please help me

RE: 12 and needing to get out of here.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you and your friend are both going through a lot at home. It is never okay to be physically abused and you don’t deserve to be treated that way. Everyone deserves to live in a safe environment free from violence.

You mentioned that you might consider running away to get away from the violence. It sounds like you recognize that it may be difficult to get a job and make money because you are 12 years old – that is certainly true and a good thing to take into consideration.

If there is violence in your home, you have the right to file an abuse report with the Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS). You can file an abuse report by calling DCFS yourself. Alternatively, if you call us at the National Runaway Safeline, we can help you conference a call with the child abuse reporting hotline or gather the necessary information from you and file a report as a mandated reporter.

If you are not comfortable taking this step, are there others that you might be able to talk to about what is going on at home? You mentioned that you thought about calling your grandma when your mom got physical in August, but your mom took away your phone. Do you think you might be able to talk to your grandmother now that a few months have passed since that incident?

Please know that we are available 24/7 if you want to call us – we are here to listen, here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X