!6 turning !7 and i'm ready to move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !6 turning !7 and i'm ready to move out

I've been wanting to runaway from home for so long I've been thinking about this more lately I tried talking to my family about things but they say I just want attention or sympathy. That's not what I want I just want to Runaway live my own life not having to act like someone I'm not. I'm tired of acting happy in front of people because honestly I'm falling apart I cry myself to sleep sometimes I regret cutting Myself. The first time I got help it was a 7 months before I had another slip up now it's been a month and my parents took my song journial, my drawings and i'm no longer able to do either one they also took my phone I can't go anywhere without somone being with me I have to be around my family 24/7. I feel isolated the only person who listens to me is my boyfriend his always there when I needed someone but now that I have no phone I can't talk to him. I want to leave already but I'm going to wait until 4 days after April 24th because then i'll be 17 i'm also still in high school i'm in 11th grade i'm not planning on dropping out I will continue going to school even if I runaway from school i'll stay with a friend and after I'm capable of moving in with my boyfriend if I honestly believe that things will be fine between us. Do you think that I am making the right decision?

Hey there!

We’re sorry to hear that you’re having such a hard go of it for a while now. It is hard your family doesn’t take what you’re going through seriously. Mental pain is very real and should be recognized by everyone. You deserve to be supported just the way you are because you’re wonderful just the way you are.

The first thing we are very concerned about is your physical and mental health. Your family is wrong. Hurting yourself is not attention-seeking. Labelling deliberate self-harm as attention seeking is invalidating and potentially dangerous. There are so many reasons why people may harm themselves, but attention seeking and pity are never one of them. Deliberate self-harm is both a dangerous and valid way to cope with an overwhelming experience and it deserves to be treated with seriousness and respect. Here are three resources that might be helpful if you would someone to talk things through. Two of them are online just in case you still do not have access to a phone.

To Write Love on Her Arms
    https://twloha.com/
    7 Cups
    https://www.7cups.com/home/selfharm/
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    1-800-273-8255
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

It can be so tough when the people who are supposed to support you let you down. We want you to know that your feelings are valid and it is perfectly understandable that you want to leave a living situation where you don’t feel valued. It is also perfectly understandable that you feel isolated even though they have someone always with you. Forcing you into that situation takes away your independence during a time when you don’t feel like you have a lot of choice. When considering running away from home, you should take into your decision something called “runaway laws.” These laws differ from state-to-state, county-to-county. We are not legal experts and it might be good for you to call your local police station to find out what are the particular laws in your area. Generally, the laws are the same. The first one has to do with you. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This will not go on your permanent record. However, the Juvenile Justice Court may become involved. This usually happens after repeated offenses. Basically, what will happen is this: if your guardians file a runaway report with the police, they will come looking for you or at least you’ll be on their radar. If they find you, they will bring you back home. The second runaway law applies to people who are 18+ that you may stay with without your parents’ permission. It is a charge called “harboring a runaway” and is usually a misdemeanor. Typically, your guardians would have to initiate this charge. There is some hope though. You are approaching 17. Because you are older, sometimes cops will not put you as a high priority to find.

Something else we would like to address is finding a good support system for you. It sounds like your boyfriend is very important to your well-being and we encourage you to not pull back from him. It is terrible that you are unable to currently communicate with him as he is a huge part of keeping you together. Are you able to see him or chat with him online at school? Speaking of school, what might be a good resource would be to talk to the school counselor. At the very least, the counselor should be able to advocate and reason with your parents to allow you to have your things back. Your parents may not be aware to the extent that taking away the devices you use to communicate and express yourself is leading to more harmful thoughts and bad feelings. That is no excuse for taking away your phone, journal, and art. What your parents are doing is a form of abuse. The counselor will know the seriousness of how they are isolating you. A trusted teacher might be a good resource too.

As to the question of whether you’re making the right decision: only you know if it’s the right decision for yourself. We can help you figure and explore your options, but you are the person to make them. We are glad that you recognize that this is not how you are supposed to be treated and that you deserve better. We support you no matter what you choose.

Please remember this: if you’re depressed right now, then remember that you only have to do today, that’s all. Nothing more. Tell yourself that you can do today. And don’t forget, you haven’t always been feeling this awful. The good days will come back. If you feel like it when you get your phone back, give us a call. We’re open 24/7, 365 days a year. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY. We would love to hear from you.

Best wishes,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Im 16 and i want to live with my friend. Im currrently working but my famliy keeps saying they’re going to call dcf and that i need to come back home but i dont want to leave

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Seems like you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services. Please do not hesitate to reach back out if you need anything else.

Best of luck,

NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X