17 Year Old Rights In Ohio.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there, I'm two months away from turning 18 and need answers. May I legally leave home with just my father's/male legal guardian's permission? I can financially fend for myself and have a stable place I can move into. I'm going through ALOT and really wish to not get too deep into it.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I am a 17 year old girl and and for the past 5 months I've been living in North Carolina with my boyfriend and his parents and my mother with her permission
    My mother is a recovering drug addict and has relapsed several times while we lived with my boyfriend's family and they told her they wouldn't allow her to use drugs there
    So my mother decided to go back to the state we were from in Ohio
    I was forced by the police to go with her and ride in a car with my grandparents who had covid and now I have covid
    My boyfriend's home in North Carolina carolina was my home and I was taken from it I will be 18 in about 8 months
    I do not feel safe staying with my mom playing with my mom because of her drug use and I want to go back to North Carolina
    Right now I am living at a friend's because I do not feel safe you do not feel safe at my grandparents or my moms

What can I do

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are happy to help you and provide you with support during this time.

It sounds like you’re in a difficult situation right now. We are not legal experts here, but we can provide you with some general information. If you choose to go back to North Carolina without anyone’s permission, this may be considered running away. At 17, you may still be considered a minor in your area. If this is the case, your parents or legal guardians have the right to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are found by the police there is a chance that you can be taken back home. Also, if you are found staying with someone there is a chance that that person could be charged with harboring a runaway.

If you would like more resources to answer any other questions you might have, don’t hesitate to reach out to NRS through our website (www.1800runaway.org) or our 24 hour hotline (1-800-RUNAWAY).

Thank you again for reaching out to us. We are here 24/7 and have someone available to talk.

Best,
      NRS

In Ohio age of consent is 16 or higher. I'm 17 and running away from home with my boyfriend who is the same age as me. Would we get in trouble for doing this since we're both over the age of consent? We're not having sex or anything. We're just running away. We have cars and places to stay

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline. We know that it isn’t always easy to ask for help and we appreciate you sharing a bit of your story with us.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home.

You mentioned the age of consent in Ohio. The age of consent has to do with the age that a young person can consent to sexual acts, not the age that they are allowed to leave home. What this means is that generally speaking you could still be reported as a runaway and returned home until you are 18. Legal adults that you stay with while reported as a runaway could also be charged with the crime of harboring a runaway.

In the end, we cannot tell you what to do. You know your situation best. However, if you’d like to talk through your options in greater detail, feel free to reach out. We can best assist you over phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat at www.1800runaway.org. We’re here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You do not have to be alone in this.
      Feel free to reach out if you’d like to chat about what’s going on.

All the best,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X