No announcement yet.

i want to STAY a runaway

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i want to STAY a runaway

    hi, im 16 and live in mass. i live with my mother and her side of the family. my best friend is 18 and getting an apartment and i'm planning on leaving here to live with her by the end of the summer. i have a job and money saved and i'm going to finish high school where i am now. i heard that the police give up searching for you and just list you as a runaway but what if they did find me? can they make me go back? how hard is it to get emancipated? and what if your parents don't live together, but one of them consents to it because my dad knows how my house is and he would. thank you <3

  • #2
    Re: i want to STAY a runaway

    thanks for contacting us. It is to our understanding you would like to get out of your current living situation with your mom and possibly stay with a friend by the end of the summer. You questioned if you are reported as a runaway and you are picked up by the police what might happen? Well the police may notify your mom that they found you and return you home or have her come pick you up from the station. Your other question was about emancipation and if it is difficult to do. Well emancipation requires first your custodial parents
    conscent and there is also a criteria you have to meet to satisfy the judge that you are a strong canidate for emancipation. Some of the qualifications may be that you are working (which you are) and have a savings account with a set amount in it . You will need a place to live where you are or will be paying rent. Since you live with your mom it is unlikely you dad would be able to give conscent without your mom signing off on it as well. We hope this answers your questions but would like to ask have you researched other options like relatives? Would your dad be an option to stay with? What is your situation at home with your mom? Are you living with her side of the family? Can you think of what it would take for you to have a change of heart and stay with your mom? You are welcome to call our 24hr 1 -800-runaway hotline to discuss your situation and possible options further.
    We're here to listen and appreciate your taking the time to be heard.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif