Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to move out!!!

I am currently 15 years of age, I have a friend who is 19 and another who is 17, we are all willing to come together while I get a workers permit and they work their normal jobs and obviously school, and we are all going to pay rent, Is it legal for me to do so. I could probably get parental consent if needed. Also, I live in Southern Illinois if that helps at all

Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out, we know it takes a lot of courage to share what’s going on. If your parents agree to let you leave on your own then there shouldn’t be a problem with you moving out (assuming they continue to permit it). It sounds like you might also be thinking about emancipation, which is a process that would make you a legal adult.

It should be noted that emancipation can be a lengthy and expensive process. In the state of Illinois, there is an “Emancipation of Mature Minors Act” that allows “mature” (as ruled by the court) adolescents between the age 16 and 18 to become emancipated. Minors seeking emancipation should demonstrate to the court that they are mature, able to financially support themselves and be able to live independently.

If you would like more information regarding emancipation you can try reaching out a local legal aid group. If you’d like, you can contact the Youth Service Bureau at 207-529-8300. If you want to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X