No announcement yet.

Dhs

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dhs

Hey I am 18 and I am in DHS custody. The state won't emancipate me and want to keep me in custody until I'm 21. I know the age requirement says 21 is legal in Mississippi. Could I leave Mississippi and go to Louisiana to avoid that law? Would that work since Louisiana legal age is 18?

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You have demonstrated maturity in developing a plan for yourself and seeking help. Legal matters involving age and majority/minority status can be tricky, so it makes sense you have this question.
    We are not legal experts here at the National Runaway Safeline, but we can provide some more general legal information that you might find useful. You are right that in Mississippi the “legal” age, or age of majority, is 21. Technically, this means that DHS can maintain custody over you until you are 21. This will still apply even if you go to another state, like Louisiana. However, it cannot be said with certainty whether or not Mississippi DHS will take action to bring you back, or furthermore, whether or not Louisiana (or other state) will detain you once there. States generally try to honor the laws of a person’s home state in these matters, but as a legal adult in Louisiana, there may be less motivation on the part of the state to take action. You may find it useful to talk to a Legal Aid service in Mississippi or Louisiana. For Mississippi, you can call this general intake number: 1-(800)-498-1804. For Louisiana, you can call Kisatachie Legal Services at (31-352-7220 or New Orleans Legal Assistance at (504)-340-1381.
    We hope that you find this information helpful. If you do not, you can always call us 1-800-RUN-AWAY and we may be able to further help you, or just be there to listen if you are going through anything tough. Thanks again for writing us. It was a great step to have taken!

Sincerely,
    National Runaway Safeline
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X