No announcement yet.

moving in with sibling at 15?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • moving in with sibling at 15?

    My name is Dee and I live in California with my mom. I'm currently on vacation visiting my sister in New Mexico (she is 20 and doesnt talk to my mom). My mom is emotionally abusive, erratic, and is on drugs. I want to stay in New Mexico with my sister and my sister would be fine with this except my mom would not be fine with this. I guess I want to know if it's legal to move in with my sister without my mom's permission? especially because it's out of state? Also I am only a freshman in high school and I would want to finish school in New Mexico but i dont know if I cant without my mom's permission. If I accidentally miss my flight home, what can my mom do, legally?

  • #2
    Reply: My name is Dee...

    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case.
    Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.

    You may have some other options since there are some issues that might be considered abusive behavior by your mother.
    There are laws to protect minors against abuse-physical, emotional, verbal etc.
    If you are in fear or at risk being home with your mother you have the option of filing an abuse report with child protective services in your area.

    Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

    If you would like to speak more about your situation and explore some options, please contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or
    NRS is here to listen and here to help. We understand how difficult it must have been to reach out today but we want you to know we are here to support you during this time.

    Take care,

    We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp