No announcement yet.

if my kids run away can i go get temporary custody of them

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • if my kids run away can i go get temporary custody of them

    hello i was hoping to find out if i could get any custody or rights with my kids if rhey run away from my brothers house. they are being abused and i am not sure how to help them and how to make sure to be legal and do things to help them get to me verses make things harder or impossible for me to get them away and keep them with me. i

  • #2
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like your kids are being abused at your brothers house and you are wondering if you could get custody of them if they runaway. No one deserves to be abused and it is so understandable that you want to them out of there.

    We are not legal experts, and we are not sure about what your custody situation is. Generally, you can gain custody of youth through 1) their guardian giving rights over to you voluntarily; or 2) if child protective services (CPS) removes youth from the home due to in being dangerous and then places them in your custody. You do have the right to report the abuse to CPS if you are interested in trying to remove them that way. To learn more about reporting might look like you can reach out to the expert child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453. If you are interested in getting legal aid resources to talk to a legal expert, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us.

    Please do not hesitate to call or chat us. We are here for you.


    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp